Author Topic: Time for a new Rig  (Read 16236 times)

Offline Missileman

• Case Whacker
  • Smart like a Stick.... Sharp like a Marble
    • View Profile
Time for a new Rig
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:53 pm »
Hey Guys, I've been gaming on my same machine for several years now and it's time for an upgrade.
My old rig isn't that bad.... AMD 3500+, w/ x800xt agp video card, 2gb of ram, couple raptors in raid... it did the trick... but she's getting slow, can't handle alot of the newer games and I want something with some more kick.... I'm looking for some suggestions on a great gaming rig makeup... I'm undecided if I will break my tradition of staying with AMD. I'd like to hear some ideas... I'm really out of the loop on what not to get and what to look out for.

Missile Out  O0
There is no better frag then the one you don't see coming!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Time for a new Rig
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:38 pm »
Here's what I'd suggest for some horsepower without breaking the bank.  In my opinion, you'd be silly to go with AMD right now.

Core 2 Duo E6600 (or Q6600 for future multi-threaded games).
nForce 650i SLI motherboard
2GB DDR2-1066
8800GTS Graphics
2 - 500GB 7200.10 Seagate Drives in RAID 0
Audigy X-Fi Soundcard
22" or larger LCD.

In my experience an E6600 from Intel will beat out the 6000+ X2 (AMD's fastest) processor at stock speeds.  If you want to overclock, you can get the E6600 (Default speed 2.4GHz) up to 3.2GHz without any trouble, and the 6000+ AMD processor (Default speed 3.0GHz) up to 3.3GHz.  When overclocked Intel mops the floor with AMD.

I'm not a fanboy - that's why I switch sides so often.  Whoever offers the best technology at the best price - It's been Intel ever since Core 2.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:03:06 am by Zeus »

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 08:55:05 pm »
i think that you should part it out lmao.....Im needed some parts for my server ...mobo for sure....    O0
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »
Core 2 Duo for sure, Maybe even a Quad-core (~650 right now)

Might as well keep the raptors, since they really are the fastest drives out there

As for video card, 8800GTS (~400) is a decent choice, or you can always go all out with the 8800GTX (~700)

So basically you were AMD/ATI, which was awesome at the time, but right now I'd go with the Intel/Nvidia combo thats what I'm running and I couldn't be happier

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:28:24 am »
Definitely go with Intel right now if you want something high end. Our AMD sales rep openly admits that they can't compete with Intel's high end parts right now.  The E6600 is a good part for the money or if you have the scratch you can buy a Q6600.  I have the E6600 and it works well.  For graphics the 8800GTS 640mb is a good choice.  ATI's 2900XT competes well with the 8800Gts but costs substantially more and is WAY more power hungry.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline lu

• Static Discharge
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:26:37 pm »
Dang. Timely topic! I was wondering about what video card, but i seems the 8800 gts is the one,and can do sli later too, and recommended. Lol . . . today, i just picked up the eVGA 680 sli (a1 pcb), quad Q6600, Corsair 620 watt power supply, and slipped in an oem version of Vista. Drove all the way home and found 2 gigs of ram are on sale. Oh well, still never thought of what graphics card yet. Didn't see Daniel there. First Intel rig for me, lol.

Offline Missileman

• Case Whacker
  • Smart like a Stick.... Sharp like a Marble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:09:23 pm »
Well guys thanks for the posts... it gives me a few ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ram, I don't know whats good?
I was looking at Corsair, cause I've always had really good luck with them.
But a friend was saying that Mushkin is really good ram too? any thoughts?
There is no better frag then the one you don't see coming!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:21 pm »
I'd go with some high-end crucial or A-Data RAM even.  A-Data and high-end Crucial all use Micron "D9" chips and is very good RAM.  SuperTalent also makes great DDR2-1066 now that uses Micron "D9" chips and you should have no trouble with any of these companies.  Most high-end DDR2 uses Micron chips, so you really are looking for a good price and good support.

Offline Kamita

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 08:25:24 pm »
I'm looking to build too.  I've had my old system for about 6 years i built myself.  It was mediocre then, but I'm ramping up for this December to build.  I've already bought my power supply corsair 620 and my case antec 900.  Is there anything big coming out this holiday season I might want to know about?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 05:51:46 am »
I'd keep my ear to the ground for the latest graphics cards from nVidia.  Not that I'd recommend you get one, they will cause the current 8800 Series to drop in price and make for some sweet deals.  It might be interesting to see if AMD's Phenom processors have launched by then.  Most will fit the AM2 socket and put AMD back in the game in the enthusiasts machine. It's going to be an interesting 4Q.

Offline FEVER

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:37 am »
 Speaking of floor mopping, I agree, my 7950GT's bow to the 8800's. Check 3DMarkPro06 scores online, its obvious.