Author Topic: Can I quiet my PSU? (enermax 1kw)  (Read 22402 times)

Offline zooairz

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Can I quiet my PSU? (enermax 1kw)
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:10:44 pm »
Does any one have a thought on quieting a PSU, specifically, an Enermax galaxy, 1000w)  It gets louder and louder the longer the computer is on, and stabilizes at a fairly noticeable level.  Even if the ambient temps are down, it goes up.  If I play a game with heavy gpu usage and therefore heavy PSU strain, the fans go up quick.  It is in a Tt Armor case and turned on its side with nothing interfering with the flow of air and the fans can be quiet, they are just set to get loud after  a while.  Ambient case temps may be the problem, 28c at most, but usually lower. 

It has two fans, a large 140mm intake and a smaller 80mm output fan in the rear.

Some say it is a bad design and I have considered replacing the rear 80mm fan but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts first. 

(The model I have does not seem to be for sale anymore, only its older brother:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194019)

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks,

zoo
System:
qx6700
680i evga
2gigs ram
8800 gtx sli
enermax galaxy 1000w
2 optical drives
reserator xt for cpu and gpu's

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
Re: Can I quiet my PSU? (enermax 1kw)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:34:43 pm »
What type of system are you running?

If you've got a hefty system your PSU is probably going to produce a ton of heat, which makes cooling a problem, so even replacing the fans might not really help a whole lot in the noise department. If you put some lower RPM fans in there you might end up burning the thing out...

Also its going to void your warranty, if you've still got any left

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:15:04 am »
The Enermax Galaxy is a noisy PSU.  If you want something that will stay quiet, try and Ultra X3, or a hefty Zalman 850W unit.  We've got a review coming up of the Zalman unit.  Thermaltake also makes a noisy PSU.

Offline zooairz

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:59:21 am »
Thanks for the tips gentleman.

Fujitsu, I tried to update my profile/signature, but in the event it does not show or I did something wrong:

680i mobo, evga
qx6700
2gb ram
8800gtx sli
2 optical drives
reserator xt on cpu and gpu's
enermax galaxy 1000w

It surly uses some juice, so it may be as good as its going to get.  I don't have the 'resources' right now to replace a PSU that I botch up the repair job of, for that matter.  Your feed back is helpful.

Zeus,

I appreciate the tips.  I am not sure how to know if the Ultra X3 or the Zalman 850w have the power to function in my system.  I have seen these voltage calculators and some say mine would need 1100watt psu's !?.  Then I see some people with similar systems running fine on 850w psu's.  The ultra x3 looks good for a 1000w and I assume you have observed it or it is known to be more quiet?  (As posted above, I have no piggy bank to break at the moment, but research never hurts.)

Thanks,

zoo
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:25:08 am by zooairz »
System:
qx6700
680i evga
2gigs ram
8800 gtx sli
enermax galaxy 1000w
2 optical drives
reserator xt for cpu and gpu's

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:12 am »
I'm running a very similar system and have recorded actual power usage of 650W max, and that is with a 30" LCD at 2560x1600 4x AA.  I'm sure that a good 850W + PSU would be stable and good enough in real world usage.

I'm not saying you should get an 850W job, I just know that it would work as I'm using one in a Q6600 system with 8800GTX SLI with the GTX's running faster than Ultra's and the CPU oc'd to 3.2GHz.

The Ultra X3 1000W job should be very quiet, and perform like a trooper if you want to go with a 1kW unit.

Offline webcave

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »
yes void the warranty take it apart and put in silent fans thats what there called :)