Author Topic: Episode #3 - The Shack, Twitter and the US Military, Windows 7 and More  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
We have just posted up Episode #3 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and some details on how you can more free stuff.

Download Episode #3
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

RadioShack Becomes "The Shack"
Not so much a name change as a "brand" change, RadioShack tries to push "The Shack" as a newer, cooler store.  Will the original "Shaq" sue for phonetical infringement?
Jason states that we'll still call RadioShack "RadioShack" and not "The Shack" in a year.

Windows 7 RTM Released
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Enterprise**
** Won't be available in retail.
* Both versions available in either 64-bit and 32-bit flavors.

XP Mode Improved in latest release of Windows 7
"XP Mode" is virtualization that enables you to virtually run a machine inside your Windows 7 operating system that runs XP.  This is particularly useful if you have old peripherals and applications that don't work under Vista or Windows 7.  DailyTech has more info.

Other Virtualization Software:
VirtualBox - Free - All platforms
VMWare - Not free, but great.
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 - Free - Windows

How to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7
There isn't a direct upgrade built-in, but the above guide will help you preserve your data and make the transition easier.

HD DVD returns and kicks Blu-ray to the gutter
The "new" format is supported by Toshiba and is called the CBHD (China Blue Hi-definition Disk).  It could cost as little as 25% of Blu-Ray.  It is doing very well in China.

Bing Goes The Internet
This Youtube clip just shows that Microsoft is 100% inconsistent when it comes to advertising ideas.  It hasn't gone viral, but with over 110,000 views it's at least getting some press.

10 Companies we love to hate
PCWorld lists the 10 companies that people love to hate.  Apple & Microsoft take top spots, but there are a couple that may surprise you.  My biggest surprise is Ticketmaster.  Jason hates it enough for both of us regardless.

No Social Networking/Twitter for Marines
In the age of social networks, the US Military has recently issued an order that prohibits soldiers from Twitter, Facebook etc.  There are some good reasons.  On the other hand, ChannelWeb says why the Marines need Social Networking.  It's an interesting two-sided argument.

Reviews since Episode #2:
Zalman CNPS9900 LED Cooler
Thermaltake ISGC-300 Cooler

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
Jason's got more coolers and a case.
Ben Heide has a Crucial SSD and Windows 7 info.
Ben Guenter has the NZXT Beta case almost done.

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
Jason Schneider is twitter.com/bcc_fujitsu
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate

How can you win some free stuff?
There are a couple of ways: 1) Listen to our podcast and post your feedback here, and 2) send some interesting news links to podcast@bcchardware.com with "WTU" somewhere in the subject line.

What can you win?
NZXT Avatar Mouse Congrats to Krab!!
Sentry LX Fan Controller
NZXT Cryo S Laptop Cooler

The contest will run until August 18, 2009 when we release Episode #4.  Good luck and Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:59:53 am by Zeus »

Offline hoargard

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #3 - The Shack, Twitter and the US Military, Windows 7 and More
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »
Hey, folks, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed Podcast #3--I really would've liked even more chat on Windows 7 as I'm still on the fence about wiping my XP Pro setup, but you both did another fine job!  I was especially piqued by your talk about CBHD-DVD, but I think it'll be blocked in North America a la the "Cherry"--remember that automobile knock-off from about three years ago that was permanently waylaid? Also, I'd *love* it if you dedicated a little more time to your reviews, but again, I'm sure it's difficult to fit in everything you'd like to in a timely and organic way.

Keep rocking,
garth

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:11:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback hoargard, I'm sure next weeks show will have a bit more Windows 7 talk, we'll also have a couple new reviews to talk about.

Thanks for listening

Offline slugbug

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:37 am »
I haven't heard much more about that Chinese HD-DVD format since.

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:37:05 am »
I read about it when news broke about this HD format and one comment by a reader in the link sums it up:

The big arghuement against BR was always the royalty thing. Any new format will be costly, but the studios saw blu ray as a) a means to screw EVERYONE in the whole food chain and b) ram DRM down everyones throats.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:40:36 am by werty316 »
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline crowTrobot

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:40 pm »
RE: PCWorld Top 10 Companies customers love to Hate
lol I was surprised to hear that AOL was still around to hate as well.  Free coasters!
I have to add though, recently for the PC enthusiasts, Nvidia seems to be in the running. With the rampant tabloid style trolling they are facing and several forums littered with just post after post of regurgitated Charlie Demerjian crap spinning every story to hurt hem and ATI fanboyism its hard not to ignore.  Of course it doesn't help that they have such an outspoken CEO and aren't shy to criticize others. 

I haven't heard much more about that Chinese HD-DVD format since.

Yeah, its pretty quiet here, but with a billion Chinese, the market for it just catering within that country is big enough to support that format.  Kinda like how Indian Bollywood movies earn hundreds of millions despite barely seen over here.