Author Topic: Episode #8 - Microsoft Goes Open Source, PS3 Sales Up & 24MP Gaming  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
We have just posted up Episode #8 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and some details on how you can more free stuff.

Download Episode #8
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

Microsoft sets up Open-Source Foundation
Microsoft is trying to appease developers and trying to gain credibility with the community.  Codeplex is the real heart of this setup and it is basically a Microsoft-only “SourceForge”.  Daniel likes it and like the advertising – albeit limited.  Funny stuff is that this makes Microsoft have to actually program properly.

Sonly PS3 Slim Sales Trounce Xbox 360, Wii 3-to-1.
PCWorld reports that in the United Kingdom (bloody right) and Denmark (das Kroner) the PS3 Slim has outsold the competition 3-to-1.  That’s including both the sales of the Xbox 360 and the Wii combined.  That is certainly good news for Sony and just proves the point that if you build it – some will come.  If you sell it cheap enough – more will follow.

AMD Eyefinity Pushes over 24 Million Pixels with one next-gen Radeon
It’s very impressive to see the tech demo of AMD’s upcoming graphics processors that have enough horse-power to push over 24 Megapixels.  I’m not sure who has the money to drop $8,000 on displays alone, but if you’ve got the cash, it would be amazing.  The pixel-pushing card is pretty impressive and it will be interesting to see what NVIDIA has in store.  ZDNet has more info.

AMD now has 12-Core CPU in the works
The week after we talk about the now-available Istanbul 6-Core AMD processor, we find that AMD also has a 12-Core CPU in the works.  XtremeSystems shows off this CPU in a dual-socket configuration (24-cores in total) and have this setup overclocked to a nice 3.2GHz.   The bottomline: great for servers, but 10 idles cores for everyone else.

Dropped calls and poor coverage on the iPhone are your fault – says AT&T.
If you needed another reason to pull the plug on AT&T, jailbreak your iPhone and get it activated on a different carrier, AT&T has just put another bullet in their own gun.  According to CNET, AT&T says network issues are the fault of the consumer – not the company that built the infrastructure, purchased too little bandwidth, and planned on shorting customers.  Thanks AT&T – a company we love to hate, and hate them we do.

Apple Drops iPod Prices: Old Models stay in store
I believe that the major price drop on the iPod Touch just announced is certainly in response to the Zune HD Launch (Sept. 15).  It’s also interesting to see that old Apple products are staying in the store.  It used to be that when a new product was released the old ones were taken out back and destroyed.  Not in these economic times.  Apple is keeping old models around for a while longer.

Zune HD to be USA Only.
It looks like Jason and I will be planning a trip to go south of the boarder and grab a few of these.  Canadians, place your orders.

Motorola’s new Cliq handset runs Android
Amazon Offers $30 refund for a $3 book that was deleted
AMD to release Dual-Chip DX11 Card this year

Reviews since Episode #7:
YUBZ Magnum Bluetooth Speakers
SunbeamTech Tech-Station UV Case

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme
Zalman GS1000+ Case
Zalman MFC3 Fan Controller
Trendnet Travel Router

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
Jason Schneider is twitter.com/bcc_fujitsu
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate
Daniel Guenter can be found over at SLAGD.com

How can you win some free stuff?
Full contest details for the CoolIT Domino Liquid Cooling System here.

The contest will for a few weeks so make sure you get in early to win!  Good luck and Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:31:48 am by Zeus »

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #8 - Microsoft Goes Open Source, PS3 Sales Up & 24MP Gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:22:33 pm »
12-core CPU!?!?! And I thought a quadcore was enough these days.

AMD Eyefinity is a nineat ce feature but having space between each display is annoying.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:23:28 pm by werty316 »
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline epithanatios

• BCC Staff
  • Static Discharge
    • View Profile
    • Ben's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31:47 pm »
Ya I saw the 12-core the other day, it looks really awesome but practical ways to use it for now are scarce....

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
We received confirmation from Samsung that they are working on a few displays that have an ultra-thin bezel so that this effect will be minimized.  No word yet on how thin, but I really don't expect many people to pony up for 6 displays - even if they are 24".

12-core CPU!?!?! And I thought a quadcore was enough these days.

AMD Eyefinity is a nineat ce feature but having space between each display is annoying.

Offline slugbug

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:08:29 am »
I wonder how that 12 core CPU would handle the folding@home big 25,000 point work units. They were designed for 8 cores +.

Offline crowTrobot

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:04:43 pm »
The 6-core AMD bulldozer sounds even better, since AMD promises it to be an AM3 still (probably AM3+), compared to the 6-core i7 extreme Intel is releasing for the 1366 which will cost a grand at least, I'm sure the AMD hex core will cost a lot less even before you include the price of mobo/RAM.