Author Topic: Episode #11 - Microsoft's Courier, iPhone Woes & 8-bits of Dying Tech  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
We have just posted up Episode #11 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and some details on how you can more free stuff.

Download Episode #11
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

New Playstation 3 Retail Sales Achieve 1 Million Units in 3 Weeks
It seems that Sony was about as wrong as they could be when they originally stated that a price drop wouldn’t drive sales.  1 Million units in 3 Weeks would be a nice statistic to be able to brag about.

Microsoft Microsoft’s Courier Tablet Leaked Footage is Hot - Video.
Jason wants a dual-screen touch-only tablet that wears the Microsoft brand, but I’m not quite sold on this product.  I agree that it looks cool and offers some interesting functionality, I don’t see much purpose for this purpose in my life.  Check it out and post your thoughts.

Apple Genius says 30 Percent iPhone call drop rate is average in NYC
Why are iPhone users so happy with their iPhones when the drop more calls than any other phone?  That is brand loyalty that goes beyond the call of duty.  Do you try and do business on your iPhone and how is your dropped call rate on Rogers (in Canada) and in other cities in the USA?  We’d love to hear your feedback.
Mahalo – Human Powered Search

Is the iPhone hurting AT&T’s Brand?
The iPhone is going to be the death of AT&T in the long run if they don’t give it up for other networks.  My prediction is that when AT&T loses the iPhone exclusive status, over half of their iPhone subscribers will bail to other providers within the first 3 months.
One of the best iPhone/iPod Touch apps for your Digital SLR is the onOne Software’s DSLR Remote

8 bits of everyday tech we won’t use in a decade.
Although Jason and I disagree on a few things, we do agree that public WiFi is going to disappear.  What do you think about the technology that will be gone?  Do you have any suggestions that they left out?  I think the game controller is here to stay – look back 20 years – not much has changed.

Teen Wins $150K Over Amazon’s Kindle Clawback of Orwell E-Book
I think this kid shouldn’t have got a cent as the Terms of Service state that Amazon can delete content at their discretion.  He agreed to that before he used the e-book reader.

NVIDIA Collaborates with Microsoft on High Performance Computing.
Once again Jason and I disagree that this is a big deal with the new GPU/CPU from NVIDIA.  This is the Fermi that is capable of CPU computations as well as GPU rendering.  It sounds like a good idea, but I don’t think it will take off.  It could be 20 to 200 times faster.  That’s a big difference.  Only time will tell.

Freecom introduces first USB3.0 storage drive
If you need some fast USB storage, Freecom is the first one to market with the USB 3.0 hardware.  This isn’t faster than E-SATA currently, but it is more “future-proof” as it is capable of 4.8Gbps.  I still like drives inside my system.

Reviews since Episode #10:
Zalman ZM-MFC3 Fan Controller
Samson Audio USB Condenser Go Mic

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
Samsung Lapfit LD190 LCD Display
ASRock ION
Power Supplies
Evercool Buffalo Cooler

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate
Jason Schneider is twitter.com/bcc_fujitsu

October Cooler Giveaway here!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:17:05 pm by Zeus »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Episode #11 - Microsoft's Courier, iPhone Woes & 8-bits of Dying Tech
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:01:08 am »
I mentioned in this episode that the iPhone was coming to Telus in the future.  It appears that my sources were correct and they've already announced it.  The announcement came quicker than I thought, and that means that their GSRM network is getting closer to a reality.  Check out some details over here.

It appears that both Bell and Telus will be launching the iPhone 3GS on their new network.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:40:53 am by Zeus »