Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

We have just posted a review of the Thermaltake Frio heatsink.  It is one of the latest HSFs to come from Thermaltake and it sets itself apart by being rated at a 220W heat load, dual fans and a decent price tag.  In fact it even beat a liquid cooling system in our tests - albeit at much louder volume.  For more information please be sure to check out our review.

We've put the Frio up against some pretty tough competition, and the results are pretty good for the Frio. As far as air-cooling goes the Frio comes in 2nd in our chart and was even able to beat the CoolIT ECO A.L.C. Watercooling CPU Cooler. That kind of performance is pretty impressive. . .

Drop Jason your comments and questions right here!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:28:59 PM by Zeus »

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »
impressive cooling results and the cooler looks pretty nice too.  How is the fan mounting system compared to the clips most coolers use? 

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
The Frio uses rubber mounts to attach the fan to the heatsink, its a pretty decent system actually.

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:37 PM »
that sounds like a much better solution than the wire clips.  I have a Noctua U12P and a Zalman cooler and both use the wire clips which aren't terrible but it definately seems like there should be a better way. 

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
that sounds like a much better solution than the wire clips.  I have a Noctua U12P and a Zalman cooler and both use the wire clips which aren't terrible but it definately seems like there should be a better way. 

I personally prefer the rubber mounts too, the wire clips aren't bad once you get them installed. I'd assume the rubber clips might reduce some vibration noise too, however I'm sure the difference is so small that you'd never be able to tell the difference between the two.

Offline Onion-Or

• BCC GMod
  • Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
this sound like the way i would want to got no liquid and keeping it cooler awesome

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
I've always wanted to mess around with liquid cooling but I can't justify hundreds of dollars for a couple degree temp drop so I just stick with high-end air. 

Offline Onion-Or

• BCC GMod
  • Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
im more conserned with a leck to me
water and elctronics mix lik water and gas it will work for a bit till the filter is cloged with water s
so to elimanate it i stay with coool AIR

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
Watercooling is a whole lot more affordable now (and in some cases even cheaper than air-cooling with some of the self-contained water cooling setups available)

Leaks are still a concern of course, however most of these package all-in-one kits are pretty decent.

However, there are some really good air-cooling setups on the market that do the job very well (and are able to compete with some of the lower end water-cooling setups) and even give you enough cooling to overclock if you choose.

Its a tough choice right now as there are advantages to both, I guess it just depends how adventurous you want to be

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
I have a couple of self contained units (Domino and Asetek cooler w/ 120 rad) and my high end tower coolers beat them out a couple of degree.  This nice thing about the self contained units is that they clear out a lot of space around the CPU and RAM.  I have seen some threads where people have dissected their Corsair H50 and added new tubing and a res and actually dropped their temps quite a bit.  This would be a relatively cheap mod so I have kicked this idea around a bit with my Asetek cooler since it is essentialy the same as the H50.  I would really enjoy messing around with a high end liquid cooling setup but ever time I price it out the dream dies pretty quickly.  If I am going to drop that much money on my PC I would rather get a high end graphics card, SSD, etc.

Offline dhoshaw

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
I have a couple of self contained units (Domino and Asetek cooler w/ 120 rad) and my high end tower coolers beat them out a couple of degree.  This nice thing about the self contained units is that they clear out a lot of space around the CPU and RAM.  I have seen some threads where people have dissected their Corsair H50 and added new tubing and a res and actually dropped their temps quite a bit.  This would be a relatively cheap mod so I have kicked this idea around a bit with my Asetek cooler since it is essentialy the same as the H50.  I would really enjoy messing around with a high end liquid cooling setup but ever time I price it out the dream dies pretty quickly.  If I am going to drop that much money on my PC I would rather get a high end graphics card, SSD, etc.
If you do it, post your results; it would be interesting to hear how it turns out.