Author Topic: Episode #52 - Microsoft to buy AOL?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Episode #52 - Microsoft to buy AOL?
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:17:18 am »
We have just posted up Episode #52 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and more.
This episode of Weekly Tech Update is brought to you by CoolIT Systems.

Download Episode #52
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

Blizzard: Fighting DRM is a Losing Battle 2:02
I know that consumers would all love this idea if Blizzard isnít just talking through their hat. Hopefully more companies realize that they need to make better games than worry about people stealing it.  If you make a great game, people will probably buy it Ė or enough of them to turn you into a billionaire.

Amazon.com Said to Be Introducing Thinner Kindle in August 7:20
While the Kindle is the brand-name of eBook readers, it is still pricey when compared to the Kobo, or other off-brand readers.  This August marks the time when Amazon.com is said to be releasing another plain e-Ink reader that is thinner and hopefully a bit more price competitive.  Time will tell Ė and then I may pick up one for myself.

Google Ditches Windows on Security Concerns 13:30
Microsoft has to fight a bit of bad PR this week as Google has reportedly pulled the plug on Windows boxes at their HQ.  They will allow new recruits to use Windows, but they are pushing hard to get people to move to Apple and Linux.  This sounds like a win Ė but the IT department is probably going to be screwed.  Also, this could be a big push for their Chrome OS that is due later this year.

Report: Microsoft Could Buy AOL 17:15
At first glance, this doesnít make sense at all and we then understand why Microsoft is not the largest tech company in the world.  The truth is that AOL still has 2-3% of search share and if they can fold this into Bing.com, this will help gain a few more percent of Google.  Itís a search battle that is being covered up by an Operating System war.  (See previous post)

Businesses Have Bought 40% of iPhones in 2010 20:55
Information Week reports that iPhone is moving into the business market in a big way and that RIM may have something to worry about.  The truth is that RIM is dominating and Jason believes that this is because business people demand the iPhone from the company.  I believe this is probably the case.  Itís not better, just shiny.

Unlimited Data Disappearing at AT&T 22:57
It appears that new contracts wonít be allowed an unlimited data plan at AT&T and this is because people are going to be able to actually use data once tethering finally makes it to the network.  Existing users can keep their unlimited data thankfully.  Itís like an all you can eat buffet over at AT&T Ė as long as youíre not hungry.

TABLET TIME!!! 25:52
Dell Streak Tablet Gets Priced, Poked and Prodded
Samssung Galaxy Tablet Unveiled
Hands on with ASUS Eee Pad EP101TC
MSI Unveils Wind Pad Tablets
Iím a man, give me something with sharp edges that I can hurt myself on!
Acer CEO Teases 7-inch Android Tablet, Promises it for Q4 2010
Foxconn Tablet Sports Tegra 2 Processor
Computex showcases over a dozen Apple iPad Alternatives

Recent Articles & Reviews:
Wicked Audio Wicked Little Buds
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W PSU
Thermaltake Element V Full Tower Case

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
ASRock X58 Extreme 3 Motherboard
Thermaltake A90 Case

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate
Send your comments directly to us at podcast@bcchardware.com or post them below in the forum.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:16:03 am by Zeus »