Author Topic: Backup Schemes  (Read 5750 times)

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
Backup Schemes
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
I'm curious what everyone here does to backup and secure their important data. Post a quick overview of any software/services you use to backup your pictures, documents and/or code.

I'll start;

For files that I want everyday access to, I use Dropbox (dropbox.com). I use a Macbook Pro and switch back and forth between Windows 7 and OS X depending on what I am doing at the time, so this syncs the files that I am currently working on perfectly.

To back my pictures up I use Picasaweb. With a cost of $5 per year for 20 GB of storage, its really hard to go wrong.

When I archive web design projects, databases and documents (bills, receipts, tax info, etc) I use Amazon S3 with Jungledisk as an interface. I bought Jungledisk when it was $30 for the lifetime of the product, it now costs $3 per month, but that includes 5GB storage at Amazon. Cost above that is normal S3 rates of $0.15 per GB stored.   

To automatically back up my files to S3 I use Jungledisk to schedule automated backups every hour on all files in archival folders that have changed, and set it to never delete old files, even if they are no longer on my computer. I think my S3 bill is roughly $0.28 per month.

A huge mention goes out to the Windows only app Cobian Backup. I have used it for myself and clients for the last few years on different projects, and it never fails to impress.

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Schemes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:44:01 am »
I have a 80gb SSD for my OS and programs and I keep all my media, pictures, musics, etc. on a 1TB drive.  That way if I have a proplem with my OS and need to reinstall I don't lose any of my media files.  I also have a Seagate external drive that I will occassionaly use to back up my media files.  We have a ton of digital photos so I keep them sorted by month and year and burn them to DVDs when I have enough to fill a disk.  My Seagate external drive comes with automatic backup software but it doesn't work with Win 7 64bit  ::)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »
I have a 3TB NAS array locally that I have set to run automatic backups on all connected production machines (test rigs not included).  On my main machine (laptop), I have a 3TB eSATA array that backs up pictures, data and such.

I also use dropbox for some files that I use often from multiple locations - service calls, podcasting, etc.  As for off-site backups I use Carbonite to keep everything backed up to the cloud.  For $55 a year and unlimited storage, it's pretty hard to beat.  My Carbonite backup contains just over 100GB of photos, videos and such.

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »
I have two drives I back up to a 500 gb USB drive.  I use Comodo Backup.  It's free and runs as a service to perform my back up every day at 2:00 AM.  Works great!

-HD

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:17 am »
I'll have to check out that program.  Free is always nice and I could use an automatic backup. 

Offline dhoshaw

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:27:36 pm »
I just set up a Windows Home Server v2. Right now, it only has a 500GB drive in it. I also have a eSATA drive I backup critical files on.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 05:05:00 am »
If you are looking for a free program, check out that cobian backup I mentioned, its open source, and extremely flexible and robust. I've used it to back up files for everything from large corporations to peoples pictures movies and music.

I'm surprised that so many people are still only using local backups. I have talked to 2 people in the last week or so that have had house fires and lost everything, even the backups they thought they were making.

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:24:55 am »
I am pretty lazy when it comes to backups and I'm pretty sure its going to burn me big one day.

Right now I have things backed up on a Dlink NAS, as well as everything on an external hard drive, but my backups are very periodical.

I use dropbox for anything important, but other than that I don't have anything else backed up offsite.

Guess its almost time to stop being lazy and sign up for some online backup program

Offline BoneRak

• Waiting to be Banned.
  • Case Whacker
  • I'm not camping, It's a picnic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »
You think your lazy Fujitsu... well that might be a hard to disprove. :P
I "just" started using DropBox. Other than that I am a twin to you Fujitsu.
It's been awhile since I had a consistent backup.
Oh Wait. My cellphone backs up every week! Oh ya I'm the backup king.