Author Topic: 11 Year Old Linksys Router Still Making Millions  (Read 624 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
11 Year Old Linksys Router Still Making Millions
« on: July 03, 2016, 10:32:08 pm »
Linksys has had some very popular products that performed flawlessly, and they in turn have had more than a few lemons. Back in the day, I had a WRT54GL - a Linux compatible 802.11g router that was one of the best routers I've ever owned. It spawned a whole host of DIY firmware communities and made this router sell like hotcakes. 11 years later, it still makes the company tons of money and it is still being manufactured and for sale. The funny thing is that there are much faster and cheaper routers available from Linksys - but the WRT54GL still sells - a lot of units.

Linksys would not release exact sales figures, but La Duca confirmed that it is still a "multi-million dollar SKU" each year. Linksys sells the WRT54GL for $69.99 on its website. In the UK you can find it at third-party retailers for about £40. At that price, Linksys would need to sell 28,576 each year to make $2 million in revenue. They probably sell more than that since it's available for $42.95 on Amazon, and La Duca didn't specify how many millions of dollars the product earns.Source: ArsTechnica

Click here to read this article!