Author Topic: AMD Unveils Gen 2 Ryzen CPUs  (Read 973 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
AMD Unveils Gen 2 Ryzen CPUs
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:58:02 pm »
AMD is getting their act together and is following up their first generation Ryzen CPU with it's successor. At this point we are all hoping for some Intel crushing performance, but I fear that the latest chips will only see minor performance improvements. I'd like to think that AMD is really back in the performance game, but the cynical side of me says they will just release a Ryzen 1.2 instead of a 2.0. Model numbers, specifications and more information at the link below. Pre-orders are available.

At the more affordable end, there's the six-core Ryzen 5 2600, which will go for $199. It's clocked between 3.4Ghz and 3.9GHz, and it should be a solid competitor to Intel's similarly priced Core i5-8500. The new chips are built on AMD's 12 nanometer Zen+ architecture, so you can think of them as a slight upgrade over last year's models. Its true platform followup, Zen 2, is expected to debut next year.Source: Engadget

Click here to read this article!

Offline Belton

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
Re: AMD Unveils Gen 2 Ryzen CPUs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:08:34 am »
That's kind of disappointing, to say the least. They better be competitive price-wise then, if they're not going to offer major performance boosts. I really had high hopes for the second generation of Ryzens...

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: AMD Unveils Gen 2 Ryzen CPUs
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:37:13 am »
Time will tell, but it doesn't sound that exciting at the moment for sure.