Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power Radiator
|Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power Radiator|
|Test Setup and MCR220 Performance|
As we start this review, I'd like to take a brief minute and welcome Xoxide.com to our growing list of vendors and manufacturers that send us review samples. If you live in the USA, Xoxide is a great place to shop as they have great prices, lots of products and decent shipping options. That being said, we're looking at the Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power 2x120mm Radiator today. This radiator will fit in a few cases without modification, but will likely require some case modification, cutting, or even simpler yet, a radiator mounting box. We're going to take a bit of a look at this radiator, then compare it to the Black Ice Extreme Rev.2 1x120mm radiator. The Black Ice Extreme is a pretty powerful radiator due to its tight fin layout and thick core. Even though it only supports a single 120mm fan, it should be good competition for the Swiftech MCR220.
This Radiator is quite large and will require a roomy case if you're planning on keeping everything inside. It is made from brass and has an excellent paint job that looks very sharp, and shows fingerprints exceptionally well. One thing that I really like about this radiator is the design of the plenum chambers (top where the hoses go). They are designed so that they don't trap air at all. This is a nice feature as some other radiators, including the Black Ice Extreme, can hold air and then very slowly trickle that off into your system. Air bubbles can cause poor performance if one gets trapped in a waterblock and Swiftech has taken measures to reduce this risk.
The radiator comes with a couple of plugs in the 1/4" NPSM threaded hubs and with screws for fan and radiator installation, but no barbs. Most companies leave this option open so that you can order the right size and decide if you want to spend the extra money on chrome or nylon barbs.
Features, Specs & More:
Before we go any farther, let's cover some basic features and specifications on this radiator.
The MCR220 from Swiftech is a heavy duty, liquid to air heat exchanger designed to be used with two 120mm fans. The Quiet Power Tech Team at Swiftech spent months researching the optimal thermal performance and audible noise characteristics with low to medium airflow types of fans and they have found it. They discovered one of the most powerful radiators on the market while producing the least noise.
The MCR 220 evolved from the MCR 120 which has a single 120 mm fan rather than two. The MCR 220 will be slightly louder but the airflow is improved drastically.
- High Performance:
- Dual 120mm fan form factor doubles the surface area available for convection of the heat into the air compared to single 120mm fan designs. The Quiet Power design yields superior performance compared to competing products in the same class.
- Flat brass tubes and copper louvered fins, with brass plenum chambers and frame construction, for optimum thermal conductivity.
- Flat frame surface provides optimum seal to the fans.
- Low Noise:
- Optimized for 120mm fans with low to medium air output.
- Fin density optimized to reduce air noise.
- Built-in plenum chamber.
- Convenience, Reliability, and Quality
- 1/4" NPSM threaded hubs (BSPP and G1/4 compatible) for maximum compatibility with various tubing installations.
- Patent-pending Self purging plenum chambers design: when installed upright or on its side, air cannot accumulate in the plenum chambers.
- Threaded fan and case mounting holes for quick and repeated installations.
- Slim design to facilitate installation, and reduce bulk.
- No oxidation over time (compared to aluminum radiators).
- Beautiful and durable gloss acrylic paint finish.
- 2-pass, single row construction
- Brass body and tubes, louvered copper fins
- Optimized fin-density for maximum heat dissipation at low noise
- Patent-pending self-purging brass plenum chamber
- M3.5 threaded fan and case-mounting holes
- Slim form factor 11.2 x 5 x 1.3" (284 x 128 x 34mm)
- 1/4" NPSM threaded hubs
- High-durability acrylic paint finish
- ROHS compliant
On the next page, we'll cover the test setup, and run some performance numbers.