Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick
|Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick|
|Closer Look, Testing and More|
While the number of flight simulator and air combat games is diminishing, the need for a good joystick for these games is still high priority if you enjoy soaring above a virtual world. Five years ago, air combat games were a little more popular as they often showcased amazing graphics and visuals. Today's gamers seem to be grouped into different categories however. One of the main groups is fantasy/RPG gamers that play World of Warcraft, Everquest, EVE, etc, and the other major group is First Person Shooters. Often that leaves little room for other genres. BCCHardware used to have a bit of a "clan" and we'd play BF1942:Desert Combat against DallmannComputers in friendly matches every week. This game required FPS skills as well as piloting skills and a good joystick. I'd love to see more games like this.
Today we are looking at the T.16000M from Thrustmaster and it comes in two retail packages - one with the joystick alone - just as we received, and another version that comes bundled with Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. game. For this review we played H.A.W.X. and compared to the my old trust Logitech Freedom 2.4GHz Joystick.
Thrustmaster claims to have a unique technological innovation built into this joystick that uses magnetic sensors for joystick positioning instead of a ball-and-stick design of many older joysticks. They claim this offers much greater precision.
This joystick is designed to be fully ambidextrous and includes grips to convert it to a "lefty" joystick. The hand-rest at the bottom of the stick doesn't change however so it won't be quite as comfortable for "lefties" as it is for "righties".
Features & Specs:
Before we carry on to some close-up pictures and testing, we'll take a look at what Thrustmaster says is so special about this stick.
- Exclusive precision technology: H.E.A.R.T.– HALLEFFECT ACCURATE TECHNOLOGY™ !
- 3D (Hall Effect) magnetic sensors located on the stick:
- Offer precision levels 256 times greater than current systems (i.e. a resolution attaining 16,000 x 16,000 values!)
- Magnets ensure friction-free action for unlimited precision in time
- Helical spring (2.8 mm diameter) located in the stick providing firm, linear and smooth tension
- Fully ambidextrous joystick!
- 3 removable components allow the joystick to be perfectly tailored for left-handed or right-handed use
- Piloting with a joystick in each hand is now possible in all games compatible with two joysticks
- 16 action buttons!
- 12 on the base and 4 on the stick
- Switch enabling users to configure the 12 buttons located on the base in a left- or right-handed position
- 4 independent axes
- Rudder controlled by rotating the stick
- Trigger for brakes (civilian flights) or rapid fire (military flights) control
- Multidirectional hat (for panoramic view)
- Ergonomic design for optimum comfort
- Wide hand rest for reduced stress
- Weighted base for enhanced stability
- Plug & Play device offering extremely simple and quick installation, with all features preconfigured for immediate and hassle-free takeoff!