Thermaltake BlacX Duet HDD Dock
|Thermaltake BlacX Duet HDD Dock|
|Closer Look, Testing and Final Thoughts|
Thermaltake was one of the first companies to release a simple USB Hard Drive Dock - the BlacX and today we are looking at the evolution of the BlacX. We have the BlacX Duet on the bench and this device brings the convenience of the original BlacX and super-sizes it with a speedy eSATA interface and an additional HDD dock. It still features USB2.0 and support for both 2.5" and 3.5" drives, but now it can handle two drives - and do it faster.
Package & Contents:
In true Thermaltake fashion, the BlacX Duet comes in a very attractive box that should get the attention of most consumers. The image on the front of the box showcases a Western Digital Raptor X HDD, which should work very well in this unit provided you use the eSATA interface. The back of the box displays the features and specifications of this dock. Like many other HDD docks on the market now, the BlacX Duet supports virtually any SATA Hard Drive and gives you the ability to mix and match notebook and desktop hard drives.
The BlacX Duet is connected by either a 3' USB2.0 cable or a 3' eSATA cable - both of which are included in the box. Also in the box is a quick install guide as well as a power adapter.
Before we take a closer look at this unit, we'll take a closer look at the features and specifications.
Features & Specifications:
Below are the features and specifications as taken from Thermaltake's website.
- Read & Write 2 Hard Drives simultaneously
- Supports All 2.5” & 3.5” SATA Hard Drives up to 2TB (per slot)
- Hot-Swap Capability for Rapid Multi HDDs Access & Exchange
* When utilizing eSATA interface, Port Multiplier feature is required on the host system’s eSATA controller for two hard disk drives to be seen at the same time. All USB supports Port Multiplier function.
- Supports eSATA Transfer Speed up to 3.0 Gbps
- Supports USB 2.0 Transfer Speed up to 480 Mbps
- Windows & Mac OS Compatible
- Rapid Data Access & Exchange w/ Single eSATA or USB Cable Connection
- Open docking station design maximizes heat dissipation
- RoHS Compliance
- SSG (Solid State Grip) Technology: Anti-Slippery Grasp Base
On the next page we'll take a closer look at the BlacX and jump into some testing.