Plextor PX-B940SA 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer
|Plextor PX-B940SA 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer|
|Specifications and Closer Look|
|Software, Installation and Info|
|Media Read Testing|
|Write Tests and Final Thoughts|
It's been quite a long time since we've looked at an optical drive here at BCCHardware, and there have been a lot of changes since we took a peak at the Plextor PX-810UF DVDRW. In fact, since then, there have been a couple of new formats of optical disks hit the market and while HD-DVD is no longer with us, Blu-ray looks like it's here to stay - for better or worse. Today we are looking at the PX-B940SA Blu-ray Writer from Plextor and checking out this speedy drive and seeing if things have evolved and dropped in price to the point where Blu-ray is now for everyone. This drive does more than Blu-ray at 12x however. It can author DVD-R disks at 16x, DL DVDs at 8x and CDs at 40x. If you're looking for an optical drive that can do almost everything, keep reading to see how this drive stacks up.
Bundle & Info:
The Plextor PX-B940SA comes with almost everything you need to get up and running and writing Blu-ray disks. Unfortunately, they don't include a BD-R of any sort and this would be a nice little bonus. Regardless, you get a quick install guide, software CD, screws, SATA cable and of course the drive.
The following information has been pulled from the Plextor website and re-posted here for your convenience.
The PX-B940SA internal 12X BD Writer is the fastest Blu-ray writing speed available in the market today. It provides you with a convenient solution for Blu-ray playback, while simultaneously offering increased storage capacity with BD writing capabilities.
The PX-B940SA can store up to 50GB of data on a single double-layer BD disc, equivalent to 9 hours High-Definition (HD) video or 23 hours of standard definition video. It is capable of recording and playing back today's most popular media formats including Blu-ray, DVD, and CD. It writes up to 12X BD-R DL/SL, 2X BD-RE; reads & writes up to 16X DVD+R/-R, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+/-R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 40X CD-R and 24X CD-RW.
Bundled with CyberLink’s TrueTheater™ HD technology, you can easily boost DVD video and audio quality to achieve HD-like results and smoother playback. The software turns standard content into HD-quality images, by up-scaling video resolution from 480p to 1080p. You can now enjoy high definition movies on your PC-based home theater.
The Latest Technology
- Supports Blu-ray Disc writing speed up to 12X
- Stores up to 50GB on a double-layer BD disc, or 25GB on a single-layer BD disc
- Stores up to 9 hours High-Definition (HD) or 23 hours of standard definition video on a single double-layer BD disc
- Converts standard definition DVD content to high definition quality images with TrueTheater™ technology
Reliability and Robustness
- Low Vibration mechanism design improves overall writing accuracy
- Supports a wide array of BD, DVD, and CD archive and playback
- SATA interface for better performance & compatibility
Creative & Fun
- Comprehensive Cyberlink BD Suite software included - authoring and burning, data archiving, disc playback, slideshow creation, video editing, and more
- Enjoy picture-perfect quality and digital surround sound on your PC-based home-theater system