Recent Forum Topics
- LANified! 16: Reloaded, Mar 8-9, Calgary Gaming Ev... [6 replies]
- OnLive is Back [0 replies]
- Windows 8.1 Update Leaked by Microsoft [0 replies]
- Samsung Jumps Into Music Race - With No Ads [0 replies]
- OUYA and Indie Consoles are Dead [0 replies]
- Apple and Samsung Growing, Android and Moto, Not [0 replies]
- VulcLAN 2014 Announced! Check here for Updates! [17 replies]
- Windows 9 [0 replies]
Steam Preps Competition for Consoles
According to IGN, Valve (the father of Steam) is planning on releasing a console. They are going to kick aside the keyboard and mouse and put a controller in the hands of PC gamers. Not all steam games work with a controller - unless they make a better one that works specifically with those titles. Do we really need another console that's almost the same thing? We've got Playstation, Wii, Xbox, Wii U and the OUYA on its way and I don't think we need yet another connected-to-TV console. They maybe trying to appease both gaming parties, but if this flies, stores like EBGames and Gamestop will be hurt in the end. Standard computer gaming may be coming to an end.
Newell first delved into the company’s Steam Box plans in detail back at CES. At the time, Newell described a tiered system designed to appeal to multiple consumers, and also explained that while Valve will make its own hardware, other manufacturers will also be invited to develop for Steam Box as a platform.