Recent Forum Topics
- Apple's new products [0 replies]
- What happened to tablet sales? [0 replies]
- I Could Actually Be Good at Darts Now [0 replies]
- ARM Steps up their Performance Game [0 replies]
- New iPad is Thick and Heavy [0 replies]
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocking x2 [0 replies]
- Super Mario Run Coming to Android This Week [0 replies]
- New Xbox One S Bundles Have 2 Free Games for $299 [0 replies]
The end of Firefox OS
It appears that Firefox OS is dead thanks to a round of layoffs over at Mozilla. Mozilla has laid off 50 people who were involved with the Firefox OS project (as well as other projects that aren't related to the Firefox browser). Firefox OS popped up in 2013 and ended up on some lower end smartphones but wasn't able to get enough of a following to ever get much traction against the big guys like Apple and Google. ZDNet has the full story.
Mozilla has laid off the remaining 50 members of its connected devices team behind Firefox OS and other projects beyond the desktop browser.
"We have shifted our internal approach to the internet-of-things opportunity to step back from a focus on launching and scaling commercial products to one focused on research and advanced development, dissolving our connected devices initiative and incorporating our internet-of-things explorations into an increased focus on emerging technologies," Mozilla said in a statement to ZDNet sister site CNET.