Sport Cam Madness - Samsung SC-X210L
|Sport Cam Madness - Samsung SC-X210L|
|Menus and More|
|General Usage and Extreme Testing|
A while back Samsung released a "Sport Cam". This camcorder used flash based storage and had an external camera that could be mounted to many things in order to capture some cool sport action. The first generation product had some issues and they've now released the second generation sport cam - the SC-X210L. This camera features many improvements over the original, and when Samsung offered it to us for a review, I couldn't resist. I envisioned flying through the air doing some wicked jumps, then I realized that I didn't own a motorbike. I do live on a farm however, and thanks to the generosity of my father, we will have some fun regardless. In the meantime, let's take a look at the Sport Cam goodness.
The box is pretty cool and it unfolds like an origami project to reveal a whole bunch of goodies. Inside of the main box is two smaller boxes plus a compartment below the camcorder itself. Take a look below at the bundle(s).
Bundle #1 comes from the bottom of the box and contains a couple of CD's, a carrying case, instruction manuals, and of course the Sport Cam itself. Yes, it is much smaller than a CD. Bundle #2 is in a box and includes the I/O cables, power adapter, batter, a set of earbuds, a lens cap and a wrist strap. Bundle #3 is all about the external camera. It includes the external cam, a mounting bracket and an adjustable length elastic strap for securing the mounting bracket. The carrying case is large enough to hold the charger, all of the external cam goodies and the camera itself. Everything here is really small but promises big performance. We'll see.
The heart of the Samsung SC-X210L Sport Cam is the external camera. This camera mounts almost anywhere and allows you to get some pretty wicked angles and cool shots of your best moves. This can make for some pretty fun home movies that were never possible before. The external camera is rubber armored for durability and the lens rotates so that you can always make sure your video is level and professional looking.
The SC-X210L is ridiculously small. It's smaller than some digital still cameras, never mind digital video cameras. You can see its tiny size compared to the 2.0GB SD Flash Card that Crucial gave us to use in the review. The camera comes with 1GB of internal storage, and can be expanded easily to 3GB. This actually provides more room and longer record times that even mini-DVD cameras. Sweet.
As you can see in the pictures below, there is no optical viewfinder on this unit. The LCD screen is the only way to see what you're recording. Thankfully, the brightness controls on this camera allow it to be used easily even in bright sunlight. Some LCD's are virtually impossible to read in direct sunlight.
There is really no way to appreciate how small this camera is until you hold it in your hand. Even when it's all wide open it is still tiny.
The controls of the camera are very small, but well positioned in my opinion. The power button resides underneath the LCD, so that it cannot be accidentally shut off when recording and the LCD is closed (durability - you'll see). The record button is to the right of the zoom toggle, and the play button is on the left. Tidy, handy and very usable.
Features & Specs:
- 6 in 1 Multi-Function Sports Cam
- Optical 10x, Digital 100x Zoom
- 1/6", 680k Pixel CCD
- 1GB Built-In Memory
- SD/MMC Expansion Card Slot
- LED Flash Light : Use the built in light to illuminate dark scene's for still photo's
- 2" Trans-Ref 230k Pixel LCD
- PC/Web Camera
- 2" Trans-Ref 230k Pixel LCD
- Electronic Image Stabilizer
- Recording Time: HQ 4.5Mb/S Fine 3.0Mb/S Normal 2Mb/S
- PC Mode / TV Mode Recording
- 12 Digital Special Effects(Art, Mosaic, 1/2 Mirror, Full Mirror, Negative, Black & White, Emboss,Pastel,Wide,Red,Blue,Yellow)
- Auto Exposure: 5 Modes ( Sand &Snow, Sport, Auto, Portrait, Spotlight)
- MPEG4 ASP Recording (720 x 480 & 30FPS )
- MP3 Modes: Play, Random, Repeat(All, Once, Off)
- MP3 Formats: WMA / MP3
- Selectable LED Colour ( Red, Green, Blue, Orange)
- USB 2.0 Streaming
- Li-Poly Battery 1200mAh
- 70Min Recording Battery Life
- 180 Min Playtime Battery Life
- 240 Min MP3 Playtime Battery Life
- Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS10 / Mac OS X
- Dimensions: 61 x 93.7 x 30
- Accessories: Software, Headphones, Quickguide, Manual, USB Cable, AC Adaptor, External Lens, AV Cable, Wrist Strap, Carry Case, Lens Cap
- Carry on to the next page as we take a look at the menus and setup of this camera.
Download: SC-X210L In Action - "WooHoo"