Author Topic: Episode #55 - Your Holding It The Wrong Way  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Zeus

  • I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • *****
  • Posts: 3616
  • Karma: +678/-200
  • Gender: Male
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Episode #55 - Your Holding It The Wrong Way
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »
We have just posted up Episode #55 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and more.
This episode of Weekly Tech Update is brought to you by CoolIT Systems.

Download Episode #55
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

77% of iPhone 4 sales were upgrades 3:00
It looks like only 23% of new iPhone 4 purchases were made by converts to the platform.  The other 77% of people merely upgraded.  That shows some major brand loyalty however and most companies would kill for these kind of numbers.

iPhone 4 drops calls when held “incorrectly” 9:03
Although the iPhone has a lot of interesting features, the truth is that there isn’t a lot of actual innovative stuff with this phone.  The major issue is the how you hold it.  Steve Jobs says your holding it wrong, but it in fact is a major, major, MAJOR design flaw.  The funny thing is that according to Apple ads, Apple is holding it wrong too.

Some iPhone 4’s coming off the assembly line with wrong volume keys 15:37
Another issue with this lovely phone is the fact that some of the volume buttons are put on backwards.  When you press the side “+” key the volume goes down.  Thankfully the “-“ key turns the volume up.  Just like we’d expect from a Chinese knock-off (KIRF).  Nicely done.  Just so you know, even with hardened glass, yes, it still blends.

Plextor PX-SP08U Shock-Proof HDD Testing
Blast from the past at BCCHardware.com

iPhone 4 vs HTC EVO 4G 22:15
If you think there is nothing better than the iPhone 4, you should check out the comparison between the iPhone 4 and the HTC EVO 4G.  The 4G honestly has my vote as it has greater flexibility and pretty much the same feature set as the iPhone.

Apple Users Average 37 Apps, Android Users Average 22 Apps Per Phone 23:40
Although I’m sure that although there are about 20 apps worth buying/downloading on each platform, but it appears that the Apple culture downloads a few more apps than Android users.  I guess it still makes more sense to develop for Apple – except that they take a bigger cut of the profit.

Toshiba Libretto W100 Dual-Screen Tablet – I’ll take two! (Can you spare me $1100 each?) 28:51
The Toshiba Libretto looks a lot like the Microsoft Courier – it comes with Windows 7 and a bunch of connectivity that the iPad doesn’t have.  I still wouldn’t use it for reading a book, and it’s hard to say what I’d actually use it for.  Jason wants two however.  Toshiba, if you’re listening, please call.

HP Partners With Yahoo For Targeted Ads 41:15
HP has recently enabled web-printing on their printers and while this sounds like a handy way to print documents, HP has now partnered with Yahoo so that they’ll print out coupons and adds on your printer.  Yes, it uses your ink and toner and doesn’t look like it is opt-in at the moment.  This is a bad idea.

HTML5 Speed Tests: Internet Explorer 9 Leads the Pack… For now… 43:42
HTML 5 is set to replace flash in some circles, but it’s still in early development and deployment.  Engadget has some side-by-side comparisons with different browsers and Microsoft’s own IE9 leads the pack.  Google Chrome is dead last – for now.  Things will change as launch gets nearer though.

Recent Articles & Reviews:
Crucial Ballistix Finned DDR3-1600 With Temperature Sensors

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
ASRock X58 Extreme 3 Motherboard
Sungale Kula TV
Samsung NB30 Netbook
Hercules Ferrari Game Controller

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate
Send your comments directly to us at podcast@bcchardware.com or post them below in the forum.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:14:03 am by Zeus »