Author Topic: Pricing Speculation on Nintendo Switch  (Read 173 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Pricing Speculation on Nintendo Switch
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:48:27 pm »
Nintendo's Switch is supposed to be coming this quarter and there is no solid word on pricing just yet. However, current pricing in Japan is set to be about 25,000 Yen, which should put it at $214 with current exchange rate. Once you factor in shipping and taxes, it looks like it a price point of $250 USD is pretty much expected. For that price, I believe it will do quite well, as long as there are a few great new titles (not rewarmed to work on the Switch) at launch. Time will tell, but this is probably the most I've been excited about any console since the Xbox 360's initial launch.

In terms of how a price like that would look in stores alongside rival systems, at present Xbox One S bundles at a major retailer in the US (GameStop) are currently between $299.99 and $349.99, with the newer PS4 Slim (plus a game) also typically costing $299.99. In these cases at least one game is normally included, and of course various deals and bundles can be found around the web. As baseline prices at a major retailer, though, they give an idea of where a $250 Switch would stand.Source: NintendoLife

Click here to read this article!

Offline broknecho

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Pricing Speculation on Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:25:16 am »
I'm super excited for it as well.  Thursday's announcement can't come fast enough.

Nintendo has been releasing it's latest hardware at an actual profit.  Which isn't really normal for a console launch price.  Normally these console makers release the hardware at a loss at the beginning and then make it up on the game profits.  I wonder if Nintendo is going to take a loss this time to be more aggressive and appeal to the masses.

Bottom line though is that the launch game lineup has to be strong for a great start.

Also I read a few placeholder price leaks and they match pretty much to what you are saying: $249 USD.  Sucks for our dollar but I'll be there day one no matter what.