Author Topic: Surface Laptop Revealed - For Education?  (Read 175 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Surface Laptop Revealed - For Education?
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:06:28 pm »
Well, Microsoft has unveiled their Surface Laptop that comes with a new version of Windows RT that is labeled Windows 10 S. This OS will be limited to installing applications from the Windows store only, and you won't be able to change your search provider or web browser. The good news is that if you buy 3rd-Party Windows 10 S enabled machine, you'll be able to upgrade to the full version of Windows for a mere $49

However, if you buy the classy Microsoft Surface Laptop itself, you'll be able to upgrade for free - if you do it this year. The downside is that Microsoft's entry into the education market starts off with a $999USD price tag. This comes with a Core i5 CPU, 4GB of memory and 128GB SSD that will give you a nice 14.5 hours of battery life - but with so few ports and the inability to install regular apps out of the box, I see this is a big "swing and a miss".

The internet is in love with the cloth keyboard as well - which I really don't get. Also, if you want hardare upgrades from Microsoft you'll be able to drop a nice $2,200 USD on one of the education-centric machines as well. That will come equipped with a Core i7 CPU, 16GB of memory and an adequate 512GB SSD. The fact is that Microsoft missed the boat when it comes to education hardware.

They are really trying though to make it happen with their Windows 10 S that they are pretty much giving to OEMs. They claim that you'll be able to pick up a direct competitor to the Chromebook for a mere $189USD. No word about hardware specifications, screen resolution, battery life and such, but it's safe to say it will be ultra-basic. 

All that being said, the Surface Laptop is quite nice looking and I'm sure it will be solid. Still, when compared to other thin-and-light Ultrabooks, it really doesn't offer anything more, innovative or new. 

Click here to read this article!