Author Topic: HMS Queen Elizabeth - still running Windows XP  (Read 158 times)

Offline Fujitsu

• BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
HMS Queen Elizabeth - still running Windows XP
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:59:07 am »
It's been revealed that the brand new aircraft carrier that Britain just paid $3.5 Pounds (~$4.6 Billion USD) for, is being run by the tried, tested, and true, Windows XP.

Big deal your thinking, why would they spend the extra $100 for Windows 10 when Windows XP would do the job and they probably had an extra license laying around?

Well the concern over a $4.6 Billion dollar piece of equipment was enough to get people talking about how we've seen an increased number of attack on old operating systems because people just don't like to upgrade, but from the sounds of the article, they've got it covered. The Guardian has the full story.

During a tour of the carrier, screens were spotted using what appeared to be the outdated 2001 Windows XP operating system. That OS was targeted by the WannaCry ransomware attack in May that disrupted parts of the NHS and other companies worldwide. Parliament came under cyber-attack on Friday with the accounts of about 90 MPs hacked.   Questions have also been raised about the vulnerability of the UK’s new Trident nuclear submarine system, though the Ministry of Defence insists that submarines are isolated when at sea.

Click here to read this article!
I realized I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat.