Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux - Now On Windows Store  (Read 251 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Ubuntu Linux - Now On Windows Store
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:21 pm »
In a rather weird move, Microsoft has allowed Ubuntu Linux to show up as an application for installation on the Windows Store. To be fair, this is not a full install, but rather a virtualized client that runs within Windows. If you want to play around with Ubuntu and see how it works (and sometimes doesn't), this is a safe way to give it a try. I still use Linux on my Raspberry Pi and rather enjoy the Ubuntu version for the ARM processor. It's solid.

Ubuntu on Windows allows one to use Ubuntu Terminal and run Ubuntu command line utilities including bash, ssh, git, apt and many more. To use this feature, one first needs to use "Turn Windows features on or off" and select "Windows Subsystem for Linux", click OK, reboot, and use this app.    The above step can also be performed using Administrator PowerShell prompt: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux.    After above is done simply use "ubuntu" command in cmd.exe or launch Ubuntu from the start menu.Source: Microsoft

Click here to read this article!