Author Topic: It died...  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
It died...
« on: August 02, 2005, 06:01:42 AM »
Well...got home from work yesterday, hit the power button on my computer, walked away, and came back to find nothing on screen.  The monitor just sat there and blinked at me.  Computer humming away but no picture.  So I played with the cables and re-started a couple times.  At first I thought it was my video card, but I pulled the ram and there's no post beeps.

When I turn the power on, the HD light comes on, all the drives spin up, fans turn on, everything seems normal, but nothing appears on screen.  I'm really hoping that it's the processor and not the motherboard.  If it is the board, I don't think my raid array will transfer chipsets will it?  More specifically from the ICH5-R to say...a silicon 3114?

I'm going to borrow a P4 from work and see if I can get it to start up so I can at least back-up all my info then look into a new board/processor.

Bleh.

-Howdy

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: It died...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 07:51:18 AM »
It's not likely that your RAID array will survive.  That sucks man.  Isn't that the second P4 system that blew up on you in the past year or so?  Good luck for sure.

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 07:56:06 AM »
Think it's the chip or the board?  I'm hoping it's the chip.  If I can borrow a P4 for the night to get my stuff backed up then I think that's the end of running a P4 for me.  I think I'll step up to an athlon 64 system.

-Howdy

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 05:29:28 AM »
I managed to borrow a P4 last night and yes, my CPU died.  I booted up and was able to backup all my files.  I had to give the P4 back this morning since I borrowed it from a PC at work.  Now...here's the million dollar question, do I want to replace it for $200 or upgrade to an athlon 64?  If I upgrade to an athlon 64 I need to upgrade to a pci-express video card too.  An athlon xp 64 3200 is $15 more than a P4 3.0E.  Ugh.  Any input on what to do?

-HD

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:24:27 AM »
At this point I'd probably stick with P4.  You should actually have warranty on that processor though shouldn't you?  I'm not sure how Intel is to deal with, but they do offer warranty.  AMD is releasing a new socket later this year that will support DDR2 so I'd wait as the price of Socket 939 gear is sure to drop . . . or soon become extinct.

Offline MaraudingDemon

• Case Whacker
  • I'm a MaraudingDemon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:37:03 AM »
If you do decide to go 64bit you will like, but I am a upgrade nut so I already want something better.  Evga just released there new 7800GTX with 490+Core and 1300+Memory. OH I so wants.

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
Well I priced out a new motherboard, chip, and video today.  If I go with the DFI lanparty board, athlon 3700 san diego core, and two 6800 GT cards it'll cost me a little over $1200.  Or...I could spend $200 on another P4.  My video card is starting to struggle with the new games.  I would like to upgrade but not for that much $$$.  I think I'll get another P4 and hold out a little while longer.  Thanks for all the info and advice.  I may try and chase warrenty on this P4, but I don't have the time to wait for the turn around.

-Howdy

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 09:02:55 AM »
Just remember that any P4 you get right now will be a Prescott core and they run extremely hot.  I've heard of a lot of earlier boards that say they take prescott cpus, die only a few weeks after being equiped with one because the heat and the power draw is just  too much.  That being said I still think I'd try and find a replacement for the processor rather than tanking the whole system.  That way you can sell it off when you get the money to upgrade.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 09:47:44 AM »
Id say tone down the upgrade a bit by only running one video card for the time being. SLI isnt giving that much of an improvement at the moment. THink of it this way, woudl you pay $450 for 1 video card that was gettign say 80 FPS on BF2, or would you pay the extra $450 and make it $900 for the jump of 10 FPS to 90 FPS.

Think performance for the dollar, SLI is nothing but bragging rights that you spent more money at this point, I still say give SLI a year.

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM »
I shoulda never gotten rid of my 2.4c.  That chip would overclock to 3.2 and hold it without a sweat.  It'd be nice if I could find one again but I'm not holding my breath.  I need to look through some stores that have some old stock.  Maybe Fry's or CompUSA or Staples or some place.

-Howdy

Offline MaraudingDemon

• Case Whacker
  • I'm a MaraudingDemon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »
1 7800 GTX will give you almost better results then 2 6800GTs.  When benched the SLI 6800GTs only score about 20%-25% more then just 1 7800GTX.  7800s run between $500 and $600

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=708

It wont take long for 7800GTX even farther in price with the 7800GT coming out soon.