Author Topic: how do i copy VHS to DVD?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline dukeman

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
how do i copy VHS to DVD?
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »
i have a liteon combo VHS and DVD recorder.  i try to copy a copyprotected tape onto dvd and it would do it.  i planned on putting the huge tapes in storage and just keep the dvd's out for the kids because they are smaller and tougher.

can i do this or not?  dont really care about the legal stuff seeming as i am not selling copies and i own the original.

thanks.

Offline SkylineGTR

• BCC n00b
  • Blah Blah Blah
    • View Profile
Re: how do i copy VHS to DVD?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 02:40:34 PM »
Yes you should be able to just fine. I don't know about multisessioning on that unit and how much time you can crunch on each DVD.

But from the specs it looks like its all menu'ed out and easy to do.

As long as you own the originals I don't see a problem.
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ | Abit AV8 | 1gig Corsair TwinX PC3200 | E-VGA Geforce FX5900XT | 120gig WD + 74gig Raptor | SB Live 5.1

Offline dukeman

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
thanks.

i tried it last night again and it still stops.  a little line comes up saying it is copyprotected content and wont let me copy it.

Offline SkylineGTR

• BCC n00b
  • Blah Blah Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 05:31:03 AM »
Hrm
Here are a few options.
Try this first if you havent already. Cover the divit on the VHS with a piece of tape. If you dont know what I am talking about here is a pic.

Second would be to ditch that recorder thingy and get a tv tuner card and a dvd burner for the computer.

VHS - TV TUNER($20-100 depending on what you want) -> Rip to Mpeg -> WinAVI(it costs unless your a pirate or just find any free prog there are tons out there) to VOB file -> DVD Shrink(free) to compress -> Nero(free if you buy a decend burner or you might already have that or another burning software) to burn (DVD recorder required on the comp ... nice ones going fo $30-$70 on pricewatch.com)

I rip mpeg to dvd's all the time and winAVI works like a charm.
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ | Abit AV8 | 1gig Corsair TwinX PC3200 | E-VGA Geforce FX5900XT | 120gig WD + 74gig Raptor | SB Live 5.1