Author Topic: im so confused!  (Read 7716 times)

Offline captalmighty

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
im so confused!
« on: August 01, 2005, 07:50:07 AM »
a few weeks ago i was having trouble with my computer. i had left it on over night, and the next morning i woke up and nothing on it was responding. the video card, cd-drives, keyboard, and mouse all were not working. i thought that it had something to do with the motherboard, considering that it is kinda weird that my keyboard would no longer work on this computer along with everything else(its one of those saitek usb gamer ones).

so i bought a new motherboard, put it in, and i still get the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. i have tried a different power supply and that didnt change anything. i tried different IDE cables and that didnt do anything. the only thing that works is the cd-drive, but ONLY when it is just plugged into the power supply. when it has the IDE cable connected to it, it no longer works and just sits there like its dead.

i took it all apart and reput it back together and it had the exact same outcome as before and i dont know what the deal is. does anybody here know how i would go about fixing this issue or know what the problem actually is?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 08:46:24 AM by captalmighty »
"Hey 911, it's Quagmire. No no, it's in a window this time".

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re: im so confused!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:37:25 AM »
although it doesn't usually happen too often, I might look at the CPU as being the culprit.  As well the RAM could be causing problems. To test the ram, just remove it from the board and try and power it on and see if you get any POST beeps, if you do get beeps, then you probably got some bad ram. As well you can try removing the CPU and trying to power it on to see if you get any POST beeps as well.  Hopefully this will atleast let you know what is dead on your PC.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 06:53:08 PM »
I'm with Lobbdogg on the RAM possibility.  I had one stick from Crucial go bad in my test rig and experienced similar symptoms.  If you have an Athlon 64 system and two or more sticks of RAM, you can try them one at a time in slot 2.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Yair

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:10:13 PM »
shouldn't he try memtest then?

Offline captalmighty

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 01:36:56 AM »
alright, ill try that when i get my computer back, because right now it is at a shop, cuz i was stumped and wanted to take it in just to see if they could see what was wrong with it. for some reason now i am thinking that it may possibly be my cd drives. they are pretty old 5-6 years (been too cheap to get new ones  :P). would those have an effect on my computer and stuff?

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 03:56:24 AM »
Ive never seen optical drives cause a no post issue before, but not to say it can't happen.  From waht you said though, it sounds like if the IDE cables are not plugged in, it still doesn't post, but they will open/close (unless I misred something).  Another thing I'd do for troubleshooting is trying to just get the machine to POST with just the absolute bare essentials plugged in, like: power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card.  Leave the other stuff unplugged while trying to get the machine to POST. If it works then you can always plug stuff in one at a time to find the culprit.

To Yair, it sounds like the computer doesn't POST, so he cannot run memtest if it doesn't POST
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Yair

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 04:52:48 AM »
heh good point ;D

Offline captalmighty

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 10:32:58 AM »
thats right. if the IDE cable is not plugged in, then the drives power up and can be opened and closed.