Author Topic: Microsoft Vista  (Read 19953 times)

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Microsoft Vista
« on: August 06, 2005, 02:41:03 PM »
What does everone think of Microsoft's next OS named "Vista". I seen some screenshots and it doesn't imoress me. It looks like an improved XP in my view. I doubt I will change from XP.

Check out some screen shots here of the beta.
http://forevergeek.com/windows/windows_vista_beta_screenshots.php
http://www.geekpedia.com/software36_Microsoft-Vista-Beta-1-screenshots.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 02:46:10 PM by werty316 »
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline SAMSAMHA

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 08:57:24 PM »
the interface is still in progress I think.  I think the current beta version is more aiming toward software developer so they can start creating software for the vista.  I am sure the final version will be somewhare much more different than the current one.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:37:54 AM »
I've been playing around with Vista Beta 1 for a couple days now and I really like the new way of installing the OS, it is much more user friendly to the n00bs as it is a GUI interface which is simple to navigate.

One other huge feature I really like is that if you have a RAID setup, you have the options of supplying the drivers via floppy, cd, or USB thumb drive. For anyone who has run RAID, knows this is a huge deal as I know I hate searching through floppy disks trying to find one that works, and I'd like to actually remove the floppy from my machine and the only reason it stays is because of my RAID drivers that are needed.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline SAMSAMHA

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 10:44:38 AM »
question, does it still need a floppy to install sata hd via f6?

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 11:37:12 AM »
I'm not sure if it has native support for regular SATA drives or not. However when┬  you get into the partitioning utility, it asks you there if you want to install drivers for hard disk drives. So no more of the F6.┬  :o

if you can see the pic above you can see that there is an option for installing the drivers at the screen that shows the hard drives.

This pic is from the link that Zeus posted up earlier about Vista from Bit-tech.net
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 11:38:21 AM by LobbDogg »
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 12:15:29 PM »
question, does it still need a floppy to install sata hd via f6?

One other huge feature I really like is that if you have a RAID setup, you have the options of supplying the drivers via floppy, cd, or USB thumb drive. For anyone who has run RAID, knows this is a huge deal as I know I hate searching through floppy disks trying to find one that works, and I'd like to actually remove the floppy from my machine and the only reason it stays is because of my RAID drivers that are needed.

I guess that's a no, and quite frankly it's about time.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 01:22:42 PM by Zeus »

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 02:19:59 PM »
thats nice that they've finally cut out the floppy drive for raid drivers, I know last time I re-installed I found out that both my floppy drives were dead, and once I finally found a drive that worked it was another adventure looking for a floppy disk

now if only they could come up with a better name than vista, maybe something a little more dangerous
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:21:03 PM by Fujitsu »

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 07:56:32 PM »
yeah floppy dirves are not really used anymore. Flash drives seemed to replace them and everyone nowadays has a burner.
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 04:26:58 AM »
Its not that they cut out floppy drives as a source for the RAID drivers, it is one of the options still, but not like I'm gonna be using it when there is more advanced ways.

Offline Death

• Case Whacker
  • Pumbaa
    • View Profile
    • Bio-Hazard
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 06:13:28 AM »
I've also read that MS may take the options out and go back to the F6 via floppy due to costs and so on, that's just what I heard on the Beta site. But if all goes with the way it's working now, I guess it wouldn't cost them anything to keep it ................:)
Mountain Mods U2-UFO, DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D, AMD A64 3000 (Venice), Ultra XL PC3200 (2x512), HIS X800XL, WD SATA 80Gig, Lite-On DVD & DL DVDRW, Thermaltake TWV 500w, Samsung 997DF 19" CRT.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:55:59 AM »
Death has a point, in the current Beta 1 of Vista, they even mention that the ability to load the drivers is not implemented yet, so I guess at anytime they could revert back to F6 to load drivers. However it would be a shame since the whole installation is GUI based and they would wreck a good thing if they through in a "press F6 to install 3rd party....".

Offline SAMSAMHA

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 07:54:31 AM »
I don't mind the F6, what I hate is that the requirement of floppy drive.  I think MS should allow us to boot off usb drive or load the driver off the usb drives.  That would be a smart way.

Offline Death

• Case Whacker
  • Pumbaa
    • View Profile
    • Bio-Hazard
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 09:46:10 AM »
Yeppers.........anythig but outdated floppy drives.
Mountain Mods U2-UFO, DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D, AMD A64 3000 (Venice), Ultra XL PC3200 (2x512), HIS X800XL, WD SATA 80Gig, Lite-On DVD & DL DVDRW, Thermaltake TWV 500w, Samsung 997DF 19" CRT.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »
I don't mind the F6, what I hate is that the requirement of floppy drive.┬  I think MS should allow us to boot off usb drive or load the driver off the usb drives.┬  That would be a smart way.

Like I mentioned above, it looks like the floppy drive will not be the only way to supply the drivers. A USB thumb drive or CD will also be available to use as well.

Offline SAMSAMHA

• BCC n00b
  • Who dat'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 11:29:49 PM »
I don't mind the F6, what I hate is that the requirement of floppy drive.┬  I think MS should allow us to boot off usb drive or load the driver off the usb drives.┬  That would be a smart way.

Like I mentioned above, it looks like the floppy drive will not be the only way to supply the drivers. A USB thumb drive or CD will also be available to use as well.

yeah, hopefully MS will be able to work it out and have them finally integrated into installation cd or dvd rather:)(.