Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Conroe In House  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Conroe In House
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:08 AM »
I'm feeling a little light-headed this morning so the headlines are all a little whacky.  Enjoy the news, have a great Thursday, and don't forget to blow the dust off your CPU cooler at some point this summer.  It has been royal hot here in Alberta and heat is killing gear.  Dust doesn't help.

On a side note, my sponsors have just dropped a Conroe CPU and motherboard on my testbench.  Head on over to the forum thread below and tell me what programs and applications. . .

We have been given a Conroe E6600 CPU that runs at 2.4GHz x2 and has a total of 4MB of L2 cache (2x2MB).  This CPU will be running on an Intel DG965HW motherboard for the moment.  We are hoping to get a more tweakable board in the future, but for now this will do nicely.  Beggars can't be choosers you know.  This new processor will mark the change in our test setup and also our testing procedures.  When it comes to graphics and gaming performance we are going to start focusing more on "real gameplay" and not merely timedemos and pre-recorded benchmarks.  With the increased AI load on the system, timedemos don't tell the full story when it comes to gaming.  We will also try and focus CPU and Memory tests more on real world applications but still include other synthetic numbers for reference.

The question now becomes, "What do you want us to benchmark?"  We want to compare a "faster" Pentium D 805 that runs at 2.66GHz to the Core 2 Duo E6600 which runs at 2.4GHz.  Obviously the Core 2 Duo will decimate the Pentium D, but it will be interesting to see how performance scales with Intel CPUs.  We have some Crucial PC2-8000 and some PC2-5300 to play around with as well.  We will be using a 7600GT on both systems to keep everything square and fair.

Post your thoughts, your ideas and what you'd like to see.  I can't guarantee what we can do, but I know we will have some F.E.A.R, Oblivion, HL2:EP1 for sure.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:24:47 AM by Zeus »

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Conroe In House
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:33:03 PM »
Personaly I would love to see some "real world" tests of things that we (or at least I) do daily. Say compression time of a large ( 200 MB + ) file with winrar, and maybe some encodinhg times on 5-10 minute movies with DIVX and Quicktime (H.264).

I'm personaly also extremely interested in how these chips do running a server application I run. For those that dont know, I run a free Ultima Online server for about 2500 players, the application compiles the scripts we have, then loads the world ( players, houses, mobiles, etc etc) out of xml save files. A dual Opteron 242 loaded the world in 87 seconds, the current server I run it on, a Athlon 64 4000+ loads it in 54 seconds. I would love to see what these guys can do  compiling 20 MB of code then loading 200 MB of data out of those XML files.

If you dont have full versions of quicktime or divx, or you are open to the idea of trying the server application load times, I am off Sunday and Monday, and was planning on swinging down to lethbridge anyways. I wouldnt mind making a few hour pitstop to play with a dream machine for a little bit. :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:34:11 PM by JayMo »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: [Frontpage News]Conroe In House
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 10:59:32 PM »
Check your PM.