Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-NC1000 Notebook Cooler  (Read 7542 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-NC1000 Notebook Cooler
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:27:20 AM »
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3360&Itemid=40

Some companies market their notebook coolers with the premise that running your computer cooler prolongs it's life.  Zalman takes things a set further and believe that if you keep your laptop cooler with additional fans, the laptop will be quieter as it's own fan won't spin up as much.  Today we are taking a look at the ZM-NC1000 to find out several things.  First, how much cooler does a laptop run when sitting on this cooler?  Second, does it in fact make the laptop quieter running running toasty applications?  Finally, what kind of impact does this unit have on battery life?  Keep on reading as all of these questions will be answered.

Zalman has fired over their Notebook Cooler, the ZM-NC1000 for us to take a look at and we find out if this cooler actually lowers noise coming from the laptop as well as system temperature.  We also take a look and see how it affects battery life.  If you have a notebook computer that you use at your desk, this cooler should be a consideration and perhaps on your Christmas wish list.  At $50 is is certainly peace of mind as it does keep your expensive portable computer  cooler.  Take a look at our review for all of the details.

Please post any thoughts, comments and questions right here while you're at it!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:59:25 PM by Zeus »

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-NC1000 Notebook Cooler
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
When I first started seeing coolers like this a few years ago I sorta laughed and thought that it was just people being paranoid, but I must admit that recently I've seen a few select brands of laptops (especially "cheaper" laptops) that really do have major heat issues, and the cooling of the CPU is really not all that great

I had a Toshiba Satellite A100 for just over a year, and it truly had heat issues, if I tried to turn the fans down at all, it locked up and crashed, even with the fans running full out it would overhead, especially if you tried to play games on it for over an hour or two.

I really think a product like this will extend the life of your laptop, and the price of it is definitely worth it, for 50 bucks you can really purchase peace of mind, especially if your thinking of folding 24/7 for team BCC with your laptop (hint, hint)

Offline zorchon

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:05 AM »
BCC, it's hard to tell from the pictures: can the ZM-NC1000 notebook cooler be used comfortably in one's lap?  My ideal laptop cooler would be ultra-thin, which the ZM-NC1000 is not, or otherwise comfortable to use in my lap.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »
I never used it much in my lap honestly.  I used it mainly on hard surfaces to help cool the laptop, and I also used in on my bed to provide better ventilation.  The design pitches the laptop forward on a bit of an angle and keeps the front of the laptop near the desk, but because of the rear aluminum "foot" it probably wouldn't be that comfortable on a lap.

Unfortunately, the cooler is gone or I would try it out.