Author Topic: computer won't start  (Read 10870 times)

Offline anti-air_grenade

• Static Discharge
  • So.. you like... stuff?
    • View Profile
computer won't start
« on: August 06, 2006, 01:54:46 PM »
yesterday i was starting up my computer when i noticed it said i have a 1800+ again instead of a 2400+. like before i went into the fsb to raise it so it would work again and accidentally set it to 166/166 instead of 133/133. when i tried booting my computer the power would come on but then nothing would happen and my monitor remained on stand by. is there a way i can get back into the fsb to lower it so it will run again?

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re: computer won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »
Reset your CMOS, that should do it, this will change your FSB back to a lower setting where it will work properly, from there you can make the necessary adjustments.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:42:16 PM »
To reset you CMOS, there should be a "jumper" somewhere close to the motherboard battery.  It will likely be on two pins with a third spare pin beside the jumper.  Move the jumper over one pin so that it is on the previously empty pin and the one in the middle.  After a few seconds put it back to the way it was before.  That should reset your CMOS.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 06:57:59 PM »
What about removing the battery for a couple of minutes ??? heard that could work to as the same as the jumper J1 deal ??? sometimes these J1 jumpers not so easy to find....      :-\
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:44:22 PM »
yes, removing the battery for a few minutes in effect does the same thing. Your best bet if oyu are taking that route is to also unplug the power from the motherboard as well, just incase the PSU is holding a charge.

Offline anti-air_grenade

• Static Discharge
  • So.. you like... stuff?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:36:37 PM »
i've been too busy working to come online lately but anywho, i went home after figuring that there is a battery on the motherboard (not the most computer wise person) and found it, pulled it, and unplugged my computer. it worked. thanks for helping though guys.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 06:42:25 PM »
Glad that you figured it out!! Keep it up and running
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".