Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3518&Itemid=40

We visited the Zalman booth at CES and after talking with them about some of their upcoming products, they agreed to let us take home their new fan controller - the ZM-MFC2.  This fan controller is really the answer to everyone who has used multiple Zalman products and has not been happy having to run multiple FanMate2 controllers in their system which really clutters things up.  The new Fan Controller ZM-MFC2 offers fan control, temperature monitoring, and power consumption monitoring.  It's a loaded controller that works well and looks great.  Check out our exclusive review of this product and see what is coming!

Along with fan control, the ZM-MFC2 offers temperature monitoring and Power consumption monitoring.  Both of these features appear to work very well, and the temperature probes appear to be quite accurate.  As far as the real-time power usage goes, I was a bit disappointed at first as I thought there was as much as 20W - 30W discrepancy between what the ZM-MFC2 displayed and what I had recorded for another review.  After I checked into things a bit more, I discovered that there is only about a 5% difference is the reading between the two systems.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:16:44 AM by Zeus »

Offline LiViD

• Static Discharge
  • To Punish and Enslave
    • View Profile
    • Altus Geomatics
Re: [Frontpage News]Zalman ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:50:47 PM »
I'd love to know when that hot piece of hardware hits the market. :D
Antec 300 Chassis
Silverstone Strider 750W PSU
GA-X38-DQ6 Rev 1.0
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Scythe Ninja Mini Cooler
2 x 2GB Mushkin XP2-6400
XFX GeForce 9800 GX2
Asus Xonar D2X

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
This product definitely got alot of press coverage during CES, its one of those products that alot of people have been patiently waiting for to replace all those fanmate controllers

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
I would have a place for this in my htpc game server depending on price.  I'm happy with my L.I.S premium  it does all I want and more (this is in my main rig)the only thing I don't like is no manual control, which this Zalman has.. I have the Zalman ZM-MFC1  version and loved it, because it was simple,and I think looking at the review here,these ppl have done it better and kept it straight forward.......price check please!!
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
I've also got the LIS premium, its a nice unit, but I also miss the manual control

right now I don't have anything plugged into my LIS, I've just built myself some 12v to 5v adapters and have my fans plugged into that instead, so pretty much all the LIS does is cpu usage, hdd stats, etc.

Offline LiViD

• Static Discharge
  • To Punish and Enslave
    • View Profile
    • Altus Geomatics
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
I pretty much have the same technology in my case, expect I have the Matrix Orbital MX212. I've just painted over the buttons to make it look like the MX232.
Antec 300 Chassis
Silverstone Strider 750W PSU
GA-X38-DQ6 Rev 1.0
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Scythe Ninja Mini Cooler
2 x 2GB Mushkin XP2-6400
XFX GeForce 9800 GX2
Asus Xonar D2X

Offline andrew_C80

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
Good review, but you don't mention the very narrow viewing angle on the LED display. I found this out after I installed mine. It'll be annoying for anyone who keeps their case on the floor, as you have to be essentially right in front of the display to see anything. Not a deal-breaker, but keep it in mind. Otherwise, I love the product.

fern

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
  Hi all, :D

Look good but nobody care about the noise of 2 watts fan, my fan it's a 15.6 watts DC12 volt sunon O0, well you see my question coming now, can i use this product.

Thanks for your answer.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
Hey Fern.  I looked into this a bit and it looks like with a 0.7A output, you'll be out of luck getting your fan to run at full speed.  At 12v, 0.7A = 8.4W.  That's as close as I can figure anyhow.