Author Topic: King Demi  (Read 7153 times)

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
King Demi
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:38:25 PM »
I have a new toy...

It is the King Demi Hard Drive duplicator..... 4 GB per min transfer speed, image or clone drives in many different formats (E01, DD etc) plus it reads drives with SMART errors that a normal PC will not see in the BIOS. I have about a 75% success rate on "dead drives". The unit is not cheap at $3500 US but it has paid for itself by recovering data that I would not be able to get otherwise.

King Demi
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: King Demi
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
Sounds like I know where to go when I have a drive crater on me.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »
It has saved my bacon a  few times already. I had a drive that would just click when powered up....BIOS would not see it the drive. The King Demi recovered about 80% of the data from the drive. You can set the unit to try reading bad/damaged sectors 1000 times and then continue on if it fails to read that sector instead of just failing the whole read.

On a side note I also have a solution for Raid sets when the MB dies and you don't have the same Raid card to hook the drives to....it basicly images each drive in the Raid set and then rebuilds the Raid set with software and makes the volume accessible.....Works surprisingly well.

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
Sorta out of the average consumers price range, but you could easily make a few hundred dollars a drive for each one you can recover for the un-backing-up public
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:47:47 PM by Fujitsu »

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »
Yes it is expensive for a home user but for a certain guy that has a small computer repair shop it could pay for itself....Data recovery from dead drives starts around $1K!!!! With the disk duplication features it is very handy/fast for backing up drives etc.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:31:01 PM »
Interesting, this new job must pay good.... Maybe I'm in the wrong "field"   :police: lol!! I know that my data isnt worth that but some of these major stores would, I really thought that once a drive cratered that was it maybe i should read more...
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline DMan

• BCC n00b
  • What do you mean you want same day service??
    • View Profile
    • Dallmann Computers
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
"Certain guy with a small computer repair shop" are you guys talking about me again? $3500.00 for data recovery tools would be money well wasted, people in this area just won't pay more than $50 to get theie files back. I guess doing that 70 times would get me back to even, but that would likely take 5 years or so. I would much rather sell flash drives to the masses and leave the onis on them.

Happy Easter!

Dman
It is now time for all good persons to come to the aid of the forum.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
another less expensive software based solution that has save my but a few times is spinrite. Even if your drive drops sectors that contained OS files/drivers, it can usually recover them and make the disk readable again. delete a partition by accident? no problem, it can usually rebuild them if you havent overwritten it yet.

A friend of my roomate gave his old computer to my roomate for his kid after a shop told him the drive was dead. I ran spinrite on the drive to see if we could still use the same drive, and to my surprise, I got the pleasure of calling the person back and asking them if they wanted their data off the old drive.

Not quite a king demi, but does the job most of the time.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 02:50:08 PM »
I use EnCase software to rebuilt deleted partitions....even from a formatted drive. Sinrite is a good tool as is everything else that Steve Gibbson creates....very smart man.