Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor  (Read 99338 times)

Offline Kord

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »
Got mine on July 16. As for Nicao, not even the service menu says much.

The version number is pretty similar to yours, Nicao... or are they all that similar?

M-ME22W0BAA-1002
M-ME22W0BDA-1003

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »
As far as I know the version number does not correspond to the panel inside.  I think the version number does relate to if you can tell your panel type from the sticker or service menu.  The 1002 and 1003 are new versions that are missing some of that information.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline akuma

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
Hi all, i'm a bit of a n00bie to all this so please bear with me!

I received my 226BW yesterday and have been trying to find out the panel info - no letter on the back or in the service menu.

Finally resorted to opening it up and it turns out its a 'C' panel. Dang.

I'm sticking some info down in case its useful to you! Does anyone have any idea on how to get hold of an 'S' panel without ordering one and taking it apart?! That seems like a bit faffy and long winded just to find out I've got another 'C' panel!

Model number: LS22MEWSFV/EDC
Version: M-ME22W0BDA-1003
Manufactured in Slovakia (SESK)
Manufactured: June 2007
Panel: Chi Mei Optronics ('C')

Cheers  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:17:49 AM by akuma »

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 08:30:27 AM »
That's too bad akuma, I thought that samsung was going to be doing all "S" panels from now on.  I guess that's not the case.  In regards to opening your panel to find out who manufactured it, I think that is the only sure way if both the sticker and the service menu are missing that information.  There have been some people trying to figure out what manufacturing plants make which panels on some other forums but I'm not sure how much success they have had.

Were you unhappy with your 226BW when you bought it, or did you just have to know.  ;)  Some people I know have no problems with the C panel whatsover, and there are some color profiles that you can download to correct some of the color shift problems.  You can try them out here if you want.

Offline akuma

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 02:39:52 PM »
Hi Nicao, I was also under that impression (that Samsung where only producing S panels now) from the forums that I have read but when I contacted Samsung directly they said there is no way to be sure which panel you have.

I must admit that I was not terribly unhappy with the panel when I first used it. This was my first LCD panel and I was reasonably impressed, mostly by the size! I did notice the screen looked a bit blue and doing a fair bit of photography work, it's something that stands out. The other thing was the backlight bleed at the bottom of the monitor although with no comparison available this could be common to all LCD's. 

Yes I did just have to know!  ;) I hoped for an S panel, knowing that if I had one this would be the best I could afford but was disappointed. It's now back in the box ready to be returned as I'm unhappy with paying full price for an inferior product.

I'm now looking at either the 226CW in the hope that only S panels will ship with this one or the HP W2207 which I have read some good reviews of and like the portrait feature for viewing photographs on.

Offline JonUK

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 04:27:40 PM »
Hi there,

I bought a Samsung 226BW monitor today and took a gamble on the exact model it would be. On the sticker at the back, it says it's a "226BW [R]". On the hidden service function menu, it comes up with the panel info of "AMLCD 220M1" and the version of "M-ME22W0BAa-1001". Could this be a Samsung "S" model?

I've taken a few pictures which people might be interested in for comparision.

I am reasonably happy with my monitor apart from the consistancy of colours across the whole screen. The bottom of the screen seems to be far lighter than the top. You can see this quite clearly in the two images with the standard Windows blue background. Is this normal? Are other peoples monitors like this?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »
According to the original article that Nicao published:

If the panel type had been there it would have started with "AU" for an "A" panel,  it would probably have contained "220M1" for an "S" panel, and started with "CMO" or "CPT" for a "C" panel.  Some of the other sites have a little more information regarding which model numbers belong to which panel.

It looks like you have an "S" panel.  I also noticed that you're panel version "M-ME22W0BAa-1001" is a fairly early version though, and that indicates the greater possibility of an "S" panel.  As far as the brightness difference, that is very dependent on viewing angle.  If you tip your monitor back at the top a bit, does it help?  I know that direct viewing should yield the most even back lighting, but I'm curious. . .

Offline akuma

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »
Jon, I think that you do indeed have an S panel. The panel info states "220M1" - this (I think) is a Samsung panel number (S panel). Also the fact there is very little backlight bleed at the bottom of the screen is indicative that this is not a C panel.

So congrats on getting one of the good ones! :)

Offline JonUK

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 06:23:16 AM »
Does seem like I might be one of the lucky ones with an "S" panel then!  :)

Zeus:
Tipping the monitor back on the stand didn't really make much difference. I haven't managed to find any position I can sit where the colour balance is universal across the whole screen. Having said that, it's not all that noticable unless you really look for it. It actually came out worse I think in the photos than how it looks in real life (which is a bit weird).

akuma:
There isn't really any backlight bleed from the bottom of the monitor. There is a little from either side of the monitor and a very minor haze in the middle of the screen but certainly nothing to worry about.

I must say, this experience has made me much more wary of buying a Samsung product again :tickedoff: and proves you should always do your research before making an impulse buy.

Offline netfreak

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »
do any1 know how to check the panel type for 205BW ?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 10:57:11 PM »
It should be basically the same, although I haven't heard as many reports at all about the 205BW.  I'm not sure, but it may just be the larger panels that are affected.

Offline maniacmusician

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 01:28:24 PM »
Hey guys,

I've got a few interesting tidbits. First of all, I want to say that I've been running around the internet for a day or 2 now, gathering as much information as I could about, well, everything. I've posted all the information that I know in the following thread (some of the information is wrong, as I found out later, but a lot of it is spot on): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=509815&page=5 Start reading from the second post down(Post #42), as that is the one that contains all of the information.

That being said, here's my story; I bought my 226BW a little over a week ago from Dell. I was buying my laptop from there as well, and they gave me a discount on the monitor. I was ecstatic, of course. When I got the monitor, I was certainly a little dissapointed; the colors were all washed out. I figured that could be fixed easily enough, though, so I didn't worry. Then I tried to play some games, and I encountered the halo effect described in one of the Behardware articles; I decided I was going to RMA the monitor.

Then, on Ubuntuforums, another user that was buying the same monitor asked me for advice on it. At that time, I decided to do some digging and discovered all this information. I immediately went about checking my panel for identification; the sticker on the the back was devoid of any A/S/C markings. I decided to check the hidden service menu, thinking for sure that it would be in there. Nope. The only useful things that were in the service menu and on the back sticker of the monitor:
Hidden Menu
Version: M-ME22W0BDA-1003 (the latest revision, I believe)
Checksum: C329

Sticker on back:
Made in Tijuana, Mexico (SAMEX)
Manufactured July 2007

So as you can see, it's the very latest. I grew increasingly frustrated with it and tried to decide what I was going to do. "Should I RMA and get a replacement? Or a full blown refund and just buy something else?" Then, I read the Behardware on the C panel, and I knew that's the one that I had; the one with the mismanaged RTA overdrive. Just to make sure, I did follow the instructions as per this article, and opened it up to check; yup, Chi Mei Electronics, M220Z1. I even took pictures.

However, the sticker wasn't in the same spot as described in your article. After you take off the silver shield and slide the panel over, all you see is some crap ass sticker with no pertinent info on it. I don't want to post it here in case it is a unique number that can be tracked. But the important sticker was instead on the left side of monitor, under the panel, where the panel can only be lifted a little bit. It was very hard to get a good look at it, so I had to resort to sticking a camera in there and flashing a picture. But, it did confirm that I had a C panel. Whether the placement of the sticker is coincidental or done intentionally to make it harder to read, I don't know.

But I do know that this is all pretty infuriating. Samsung claims that they've stopped shipping A and C panels, but I have one made in July, with the most recent version number that I've seen on the internet. So have they really stopped? Or are they just deceptively shipping unmarked monitors so that people can't have solid evidence when they complain?

Anyways, I would like your advice on something. I'm planning on returning the monitor, of course, since it is clearly defective. I think that I should get a refund from Dell and buy another one from newegg. My logic is this; Dell probably doesn't sell many monitors that aren't Dell branded, so they're more likely to have A and C panels in stock. Newegg probably serves at least 100 orders per day for this very same monitor, so they have a greater chance of having the absolute latest monitors from Samsung, which are supposedly the S panel ones. Do you agree with that? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:34:09 PM by maniacmusician »

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »
That's some good information maniacmusician, thanks for contributing.  How to get an "S" panel is an interesting problem now.  I definitely wouldn't count on Samsung shipping all new monitors as "S" panels.  Their actions to remove the panel type from the stickers indicate that they are still unrepentant about their actions. I got my "S" panel by going to a local computer store where they let me open boxes till I found an "S" panel. Unfortunately this won't always work anymore as you found out the 1003 models don't have any outside identification.  Your best bet is go to a computer store where they have some on display.  These will more likely be older models with sticker information on them.  Look at the panel type on the sticker and then if you find an "S" model ask the salesperson if you can buy the display model.  Anything else is just playing the panel lottery.  I sure wish that Samsung would stop this stupidity. 

Offline tango_28

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »
I just my monitor yesterday from CDW,  I think it's a A panel, here some pictures of it.   What do guys think?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »
Is there documentation from Samsung (webpage, white paper, etc) that says they've stopped shipping the "A" and "C" panels?  If you can find it and post a link that would be helpful.  Our Samsung rep is pretty decent and he will connect us to the right people to find out what is going on, and if/why they are still shipping inferior panels.  I can't promise any results, but we can keep on nagging Samsung directly until they really fix this issue and live up to their word.

Thanks in advance, and welcome all you newcomers to the BCCHardware community.