Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor  (Read 99372 times)

Offline maniacmusician

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
That's some good information maniacmusician, thanks for contributing.  How to get an "S" panel is an interesting problem now.  I definitely wouldn't count on Samsung shipping all new monitors as "S" panels.  Their actions to remove the panel type from the stickers indicate that they are still unrepentant about their actions. I got my "S" panel by going to a local computer store where they let me open boxes till I found an "S" panel. Unfortunately this won't always work anymore as you found out the 1003 models don't have any outside identification.  Your best bet is go to a computer store where they have some on display.  These will more likely be older models with sticker information on them.  Look at the panel type on the sticker and then if you find an "S" model ask the salesperson if you can buy the display model.  Anything else is just playing the panel lottery.  I sure wish that Samsung would stop this stupidity. 

I hope they stop this as well. It's ridiculous, especially for a company with Samsung's record. They've generally been an excellent manufacturer and it was stupid of them to pull a stunt like this and irreparably damage their reputation. Did they seriously think users wouldn't find out?

[sigh] The only tech retailers around here that I know of are Best Buy and Circuit City. I guess I'll check them out, but Circuit City prices it at 350, whereas I got it at around 320 from Dell. I'd get a similar price from Newegg. It's not that big of a deal, but it's annoying, you know?

What do you think about the 226CW? It's already out and BestBuy has it for 380. I guess my real question is, are these trustworthy? From what I've read in my googling, Samsung has promised that these will all be made in France under their supervision, but I don't trust anything that I hear anymore. What's your opinion on it? Does anyone else here have a 226CW? If so, please chime in with your input.

In addition, I noticed that you're a Linux user; I am as well :) I had heard that someone at the Behardware forum had gotten those ICC profiles to work on Linux. How well would they work for linux? A lot of developers and manufacturers are quite negligent of standards, which is really the reason for most things that don't work well with Linux, in my experience. I know there's not many existing standards for ICC profiles, but how compliant are the files that are going around? (IIRC, Behardware put out a profile for the A panels, and Andrew Swihart made some for the C panels)

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »
Personally any Samsung I have used or reviewed has been top quality and had a great picture, but this definitely makes a guy nervous when going out to buy a new monitor.

I think once you get a good Samsung with a good panel you will be more than happy and have a high-quality monitor for years to come, most every store has quite a good return policy (especially big stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, etc), so if your not completely satisfied, take it back, don't settle for something your not happy with, this might mean that you have to take a lcd or two back to the store because you've got a cheaper panel, but in the end if you end up with an S panel, you will be happy.

Still the principle of the whole thing has me more concerned than anything else, sure you might be able to get an S panel with a little work, but as a consumer who is looking to spend money on a product should you have to go through all that trouble when there are half a dozen other LCD companies that also produce high-end products?

I'm sure Samsung isn't all that happy to have a story like this come out, nobody likes bad publicity, but honestly I have to think they knew eventually someone would find out but did it anyways in order to save a few bucks, so it sorta puzzles me why they did it anyways.

I guess it all boils down to if you want a Samsung or not, maybe you like the looks of the monitor, or maybe you are a firm believer that Samsung monitors last longer than anyone else's, but personally, if I was going to spend 250 bucks tomorrow on a 22" Widescreen, I'd probably say screw the hassle and buy another brand...

Buying another model, you will most likely not have the same issue of different panels, so if you spend a few extra bucks you can also not have to worry about what panel you are getting, but I think some people will feel a bit funny about it, its sorta like "Oh Samsung, you almost tricked me, naughty naughty, oh, but don't worry about it, heres an extra 30 bucks for a better model", just seems sorta odd to buy a more expensive model from a company that just tried to trick you. But honestly, Samsung has produced high-quality products for a long time, and I've never had an issue with anything I've purchased from them, so I don't think I'd have too much of an issue buying a different model LCD from them, but then again my tune might be a bit different if I had to send back a few 226BW's just so I could get an S panel like I thought I was getting when I bought the monitor....

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »
I was talking to a friend tonight who is in the know about Samsung panels, and apparently they do the "S" and other inferior panel trick with their TV's as well.  This could be bigger than we initially thought.  I do also know that the 206BW series ships with different panels as well.

I appreciate Samsung's support of BCCHardware, but we have to get to the bottom of this - either with different branding, or product consistency.

Offline tango_28

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »
I check the Samsung TV's at best buy last night, barely any of them had the S label. Most were C and A labels in the back.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »
I check the Samsung TV's at best buy last night, barely any of them had the S label. Most were C and A labels in the back.

That's an interesting bit of news.  Thanks for the info Tango!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 12:24:40 PM »
We have just dropped some cash into a Spyder for testing the color accuracy of LCD, CRT, Plasma and projectors.  We have also ordered a Luminance meter so that we can properly test light uniformity, actual contrast ratio and more.  This will help revolutionize our reviews and make them more informative and less subjective.

This doesn't resolve the 226BW panel issue, but we are trying to provide accurate, unbiased results, and this is a step in the right direction.

Offline dogcollar

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Has anyone experienced panels with an s on the back but a c or a actually inside?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »
I haven't experience that - or heard of that before.  Do you have a panel that is marked "S" but you think is a different panel?

Offline dogcollar

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »
Not yet... I'm putting it off until the 226cw comes out. Incidentally I'm UK and hardly anyone's got any over here. Any out over there?

Offline maniacmusician

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
Has anyone experienced panels with an s on the back but a c or a actually inside?

I haven't experienced it personally, but I have read about cases where the sticker on the outside didn't match the panel info in the hidden menu. I don't know if the mixup was between an S and A or C, or between A and C, but I've definitely heard of it.

Offline dogcollar

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2007, 12:35:13 PM »
Any experience of the same panel issue with the 206... the 20" version?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2007, 12:46:05 PM »
The best bet is to go to a retail store and see if you can open a box for the "S" marking.  If it's older stock it should be marked and the you'll know.

Offline kaefers

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
Hey,

thanks for letting me join this forum, zeus ^^

Well, I received my 226CW lately and checked both service OSD and the sticker on the inside of the panel. The 226CW seems to have a Samsung panel, stating LTM220M2-L01 on the label, i.e. version 2...

I guess, if someone wants to make sure to get an S panel, get the 226 CW.

Best, Jan

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
Hey,
thanks for letting me join this forum, zeus ^^

Just to verify for all you reading this thread, apparenlty Visual Verification was broken and wouldn't match the letters that were entered.  I'm not withholding registration from anyone, and it is now fixed.

Sometimes things go crazy and I fall behind.  :uglystupid2:

Thanks for the heads up on the 226CW kaefers.

Offline brunotapia

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »
Glad I found this website.  I purchased a 226BW from Amazon on September 2nd and got it last week.  Price was right ($279 after rebate, no tax or shipping) and although the colors looked fine on my PC running XP, I though they looked tweaked on my new C2D Mac Mini.  After reading about the S, C and A panels, my curiosity got the better of me and I had to find out.

My unit was manufactured in July 2007 and did not have an identifying S, C or A on the back sticker.  The service menu version number was: M-ME22W0BAA-1002 and lacked any panel type info.

I followed Nicao's instructions (THANKS!), but had difficulty removing the metal shield on the left hand side of the unit.  Finally got if off and found the panel stickers which were just like Nicaos, LTM220M1-L01, so I guess I got an "S" panel. 

Interesting thing is once I replaced the meal shield and was ready to close it back up, I noticed that the panel number was also stamped on the upper right hand corner of the screen.  So if anyone else is having difficulty removing the metal shield, no need to do so; just look at the upper right hand corner of the unit, the model number should be stamped there; well at least for "S panels. Here is an image of my screen; I highlighted where I found the stamped serial number.

Anyway, still have teh color problem on my Mac; anyone know how to calibrate the color on a Mac?

Thanks again,

Bruno