Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor  (Read 99401 times)

Wargames

Re: [Frontpage News]Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
I just bought my 226BW from Circuit City, i did all my research first and was aware of the 3 panels and how to get into the settings and all that, so i went to best buy there monitor was made in Tijuana and had nothing listed, so the fact that it was made in Tijuana didnt sit well with me considering 2 of my friends have this monitor and there's is Made in China and actually shows the "s" on the sticker in the back and on the box, so i said screw this went to circuit city, the monitor they had on display had the S and it was the same panel when i looked in the settings so i went ahead and purchased it there.

I come to work and bust it out of the box to find NO panel info on the back or in the settings, so i followed what you did here, and LUCKILY it was the same panel you had the LTM220M1-L01, which made me happy because i think that is how they all come now unless they are the display.

THANK YOU FOR THIS GUIDE BRO, SAVED ME A TRIP and saved me the pleasure of making someone feel stupid at Circuit City.

What was your model # ?? and when did you buy it at CC ?? I bought mine at CC and the monitor didnt have any A C S on the back, I bought it like 6 days ago.

I gotta say tho, it looks amazing..... World in Conflict looks sick, so vivid ... so gorgeous!

Annoied at Samasung

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
I just bought mine and it is clearly a CHi-Mei panel as it says so on the label when taking the screen apart.  >:(

The colours are very blue although once calibrated the picture quality is acceptable. My old screen was a 19" Samsung 930BF which is far superior in colour quality and depth to my new 226BW.

I am contemplating returning this screen and looking at another brand.

Offline s_t_r_o_b_e

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2008, 01:12:09 AM »
Hey guys, just read through the lot. After taking it all apart and /everything/, there still wasn't a sticker even on the inside.

But just read that you can get it from the model number in the hidden menu-

M-ME22H0CDB-1001

Which means D = CMO

Which means cheap, nutsting Chimei.

I'm really not sure what to do huh. I mean, do I take it back and kick up a stink or just deal with it?

Sucks really. Only bought it last week (so February 2008, still getting Chimei's).

:/

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:16 AM »
I'm sure you got a Chimei - According to this post you can identify that from the model number.

Do you notice the LCD has poor quality, or are you unhappy just because is a Chimei?  I'm just wondering about your personal first-hand experience with this panel.  I'm not saying you should be happy with it, I'm just wondering.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

onjah

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
mine was the same as in your acticals picture you took apart. must have been the same batch cause the sticker #'s were almost identical on the inside back cover. i got mine from amazon.com as a dicount damaged box display model for 220$.great deal.it was in perfect condition.on the hidden menu it said it had been on for a total of 3 hrs and had been turned on 238 times. the hidden menu also didnt tell what moniter it was.i had to take the back off. if you do this be patient getting the back off . it does come apart with just your fingers but youll see each clip has to unsnap and they go all arount the whole unit every 2-3 inches. what a picture!!!! stunning.thanks for your guide.

Offline McAldo

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »
Thanks for the articel. I thought I could determine the panel type without voiding the warranty. But since that is not possible anymore I canceled my order. Money seems to be the only language Samsung does understand.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm not even sure Samsung understands money in all honesty when it comes to their panels.  I guess that if enough people globally found out about the panel quality control (or lack thereof) it might make a difference.  That being said, less than 1% of people interested in this particular model know about this issue, and of those, some don't even care.

I went shopping for a new LCD for my wife the other day and had the store open a few boxes so that I could check the model numbers.  They were all "C" Panels as evidenced in this post.

I went with an LG Flatron instead.  The color is very good and balanced on it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:35:44 AM by Zeus »

RiipFader

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:29 AM »
Hi.

I just bought this monitor from Finland. The monitor is manufactured in Slovakia (in february of 2008) and service menu gave me version M-ME22HOCDB-1003. So I guess that's C(mo)-panel then.

Already a little bit of leaking (atleast not yet so much that it would disturb me) at the bottom of the screen and the colors are a bit bright (and maybe also minor blue toned). But I haven't yet calibrated the monitor so can't say if I can get the colors looking better.

Cheers and thank you very much for this topic!

Matt

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
Alright, I have a 216BW and have taken a looksee inside.

I'm pretty sure I have a C monitor, but I honestly don't know what the big deal is.

My Secret Screen shows M-ME22VOCFA-1001, the screen itself inside says CLAA220WA and "Chungwa" on it. Manufactured October 2007 and bought in Nova Scotia, Canada.

But I really don't understand why everyone is so bloody worked up. Maybe I got a "good" C screen. I have no bleeding at the edges and this is one of the sharpest LCDs I've used. Brightness is uniform and no dead pixels.

I did notice the blueish tint but to be honest this was fixed by turning the color temp up.

Anyway, I have nothing to complain about. Has anyone sent theirs back to Samsung for a replacement just on the fact it has a C screen? I would do that (why not) but Im not going to go out of my way to return it and go searching through boxes (all of which come from the same batch; I really don't believe people when they say "oh I sifted through an entire shipment FROM THE SAME FACTORY MADE IN THE SAME HOUR and got different screens!!!1"

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if this all applies to the 216BW or not as I havent found much info about the 226BW's little brother.

Matt

Offline Jenesis

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Panel colour matching
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
Hello there!

First, let me say thanks for all this info about the different 226bw panels, it's been really useful. I realise this is a really old thread, but this seems the most appropriate place to ask the question on my mind, as it's related to the panel issue.

I own a 226, and after looking in the service menu and checking the Version number, it seems I have a C panel. Currently I'm considering getting a second monitor, and ideally I'd like another 226 to match the one I have already. Nobody seems to sell the 226 any more, so I'll probably have to get one second hand. What I'm wondering is how well the colours are likely to match if I end up getting an S or A panel monitor. I do the odd bit of graphics work, and having the colours match across the two monitors would be nice. I've used Andrew Swihart's ICC profile for the C panel, which has got rid of the blue shift. Am I likely to get good colour matching on different panels, or should I hunt about for another C? Will the colours even line up well between instances of the same panel? This is my first TFT screen (a very nice step up from a 17" CRT!), so I don't really have any experience of such things.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting in the "thread that never ends" lol.  Even though the panels are different, they can be tuned to be pretty darn close to identical if you've got ICC profiles for them, or want to take the time, load up an image full-screen and then tweak the second monitor to match the first.  The best way to get them "perfect" is with a colorimeter, but if that isn't available, tweaking one LCD to match the other is not that difficult of a task.

I think you'd be fine and if you got an S panel, it would probably be pretty close to the tweaked C panel.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out!