Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Titanium = Sweet  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Titanium = Sweet
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Titanium = Sweet

We've taken a look at the very sweet Z-Machine GT1000 from Zalman.  Although this case looks a lot like the FC-ZE1 Fatal1ty case, it has tons of improvements that actually make it worth spending your money on.  This case retails for about $400, but if you're in the market for a premium enclosure for your premium gear, this is a great choice.  We've got all the details inside!

The Z-Machine GT1000 comes in two flavors - Black with Red LED fans and accents, or Titanium with Blue LED fans and accents.  I was grateful to get the Titanium version as the Black/Red motif reminds me of the horrible FC-ZE1.  Zalman has done more than update the color scheme of this case.  They've added some much-needed features and made many improvements to this enclosure.  If you can't wait to see what has changed, take look at the feature list on the box. . .

Check it out then feel free to post your thoughts, comments and questions right here!   :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:21:25 AM by Zeus »

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Titanium = Sweet
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
Nice case and awesome options...Seems the price will ward off most ppl. I like the split door setup. I would think that most people interested in "modding" would not like to cut up this case. Some hard drive mods would be awesome on the bottom drive area.
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline ROB50

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »
I just bought the external Zalman Silver XT highbrid water cooler & looking at a high end case to go with it. Logicaly the Zalman GT1000 titanium case might look ok. But I'm not happy with 2 things . It has no front micro filters ( at the price it should be standard ) . I hate dust getting into my cases & I dont like a window- A solid aluminium side is best for cooling- ZALMAN SHOULD HAVE THIS AS AN OPTION. The quality of the XT water cooler looks ok but i'm not sure it will match the case as I have not seen one.
I'm also wondering if it has enough depth for the largest GPU'S on the market. My XASER 3 case from thermaltake wont take the latest long cards and I dont think the depth is any longer on the Zalman. I like the idea of a lot of Aluminum, and was looking at the Tia Chi, now I have the Zalman XT not sure it will look right as it can not site on top of this case due to the large alum handles.
Any Ideas Folks on above or other case suggestions. The above article is good as I thought the fatality case was pretty much the same. I also know Zalman has a new case using an XT cooler built in but have heard nothing else on this.     
Rob :D   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:13:11 PM by ROB50 »

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:57:10 PM »
I can't say for 100% sure, but I do believe that Zeus tested this case with an 8800GTX which is an extra long card, and in other case reviews we've done (ultra grid, Zalman HTPC) we've run into problems, but I think due to the way that the HDD's are mounted in sideways you should be alrighty for room, I'll let Zeus verify this 100%, but I'm quite certain you'll be just fine

As for wanting a case without a window, I don't blame you, when no one had them and you had to actually make them yourself, I was into them, but now with every case having them and having to stare at my mess of cables, I'm all windowed out too, lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:58:27 PM by Fujitsu »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
The depth is pretty good on the Zalman.  I used an X1900XTX and an 8800GTX for testing and they both fit with some room to spare.  As far as the microfilters, I guess Zalman doesn't want to dim their front LED fans. . .

Honestly though, the front grills are pretty fine, and they seem to keep the dust out very well.  I honestly haven't blown up my Fatal1ty case yet, and it's not bad at all - and it's in my garage running 24/7.  Unfortunately, we don't have the GT1000 any more for comparison, but I'm sure there is enough room for the 8800GTX or X1900XTX.  I haven't laid my hands on a X2900XT or anything newer from nVidia either. . .

Offline ROB50

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »
Hey thanks, Fujitsu & Zeus. I'm very tempted by this case. So take any GPU'S. But for a little extra they could offer solid side panel ( that's exactly the mess of cables plus I think it will be better thermal properties -like the raptor X which gets hotter due to a polycarb window which retains heat. Also for this kind of money if the much cheaper ANTEC 182 case comes with two standard water pipe holes & rubber grommets at the rear why cant Zalman. I dont want to have to mod this case. I'd probably sit the XT ON Top -Great it came with 4 metres of thick tube, but did not realise i'd have to buy the distilled water not sure how good the small bottle of additive is.
Fujitsu - is that a take on the Hard drive catastrophe - among other things that was a factor in my old company going bust when all the hd's had to be recalled due to the compound used which could carry a current. 
Rob   

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »
Generally speaking the external Zalman Reserators come with a PCI pass-through bracket instead of the holes inside the case.  This way, if you want to cool with other companies W/C kits, you'll have to chop - but not if you keep buying from Zalman.  We actually just got a Reserator XT and a couple of 8800GTX blocks that we'll be covering before the end of October.  It should be interesting to see if Zalman can chill down an overclocked Quad and some SLI.

This will be done inside the Fatal1ty case - much like the GT1000.  I'm not sure how much heat a window in a computer case actually traps, but I believe if you have good airflow, the results will be minimal.  Hard drives are a different story as you don't see many HDD drives with active ventilation. ;)