Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Ultra X2 750W Titanium Modular PSU  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Ultra X2 750W Titanium Modular PSU
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »
Ultra X2 750W Titanium Modular PSU

We have just posted up a review of the shiny new X2 750W Titanium PSU from Ultra Products.  This PSU has two 12v rails and is fully modular for your convenience.  If looks could kill this thing would be lethal.  As it is, about the only thing it's got going for it is its good looks.  Take a look at our review for all the details.

This is really tough to draw a conclusion on this PSU as we are currently unsure if we have a faulty unit, or if the X2 Titanium is just not that good of a PSU.  While it looks fantastic, has modular connections and is quiet, all of this is like gold plating cattle manure if it can't provide you with a solid running system. . .

Please post your thoughts, comments and feedback here!  Thanks!

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: [Frontpage News]Ultra X2 750W Titanium Modular PSU
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:28:25 AM »
What really chaps me here is that I've seen a lot of reviews of this unit around the web.  Everyone seems to think that this is a "Great" to "Awesome" PSU.  I've talked to the Ultra rep and they were a bit surprised at my results and will send out another one for a second look.  I'm okay with that.  The thing that bugs me is that after posting the review other review websites have noticed similar results but have decided against posting them for whatever reasons as they suggested it could have some fallout with Ultra.

Wow.  I believe that a company that stands behinds it products should take the good with the bad, and we have merely pointed out what other sites have noticed - but have not posted for whatever reason.  If and when we get our second unit, we'll update the information.  I don't believe that this is "defective", but just poorly built.

We've posted some pretty negative stuff about Samsung, and they have worked with us to make things better.  I firmly believe that Ultra will do the same if this product is weaker than it claims.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:21:19 PM by Zeus »

Offline Darkblaze

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
thanks for the heads up... if i read this right it almost sounds like they were threatening you?....
"The Absence of Evidence
 is Not The Evidence of Absence."

Offline epithanatios

• BCC Staff
  • Static Discharge
    • View Profile
    • Ben's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »
yeah, this kinda makes you wonder about other reviews other sites have put up, perhaps they're bogus as well. . .

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »
Interesting.... I thought this was a review site whether good or bad products.. thats why companies send products out. Could be a bad unit things happen. But to be cautioned?? to maybe be dropped?? wtf.. sounds kinda insecure of the products they carry..... I'm not amused in people shuffling crap to people... Thanks for the HONEST review  O0
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
Just to clarify - ULTRA hasn't said anything negative.  It's other review sites that think it is in my best interest to not write bad reviews.  We've worked with Ultra in the past and they are great to work with - whether their products score high or otherwise.

Other review sites aren't threatening, they just don't think I should have said that it was so bad.  In my mind, if it can't do what it says it can - it's bad.

I'm not flaming Ultra - I'm just showing what we've seen.  Ultra is a great company that makes a lot of good products.  I'm saying "don't believe everything you read".

As mentioned before, if we see different results later on, we'll make sure we post them up and update or add on to the review.  However, because other sites have said they've had the same results, I'm willing to bet the product is over-rated on its output.

It functions fine as a 500W PSU and stays within spec for a mid-range unit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:06:58 AM by Zeus »

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
If they would have branded this a 500 Watt power supply (which is about all it can handle if you do the math), there wouldn't be an issue at all, while the power might not be the cleanest, its still within spec and would be a viable option for someone looking for a mid-range power supply

But I guess they wanted to appeal to the crowd that thinks they need a big power supply, when in reality a good 500 watt power supply will be more than enough for 99% of systems. I'm assuming this is why many other review sites didn't notice, since quite a few sites still use a basic system and a multi-meter to test, and chances are most drew no more than 300 watts during their testing.

Hopefully this review will save someone with a big system that draws over 500 watts some head scratching when they put their rig all together only to not be able to power it up.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
Yes I know that the other website are posting these comments But stick to your guns!!! Review what you have in front of you, thats why people read your reviews.. I'm glad some people can post what they find. And if the products are mis-leading the consumer needs somewhere to go. I can see under rating a product, like the engine horsepower rates in earlier years, but to over rate?? not good... Thanks for the review and "if" these products in the future are updated  I know that you will post these findings... You don't go out "slamming" something unless you know right, and according to the review I have the info I need to make a good choice... Guess what PS I'm running.... I'm quite happy with it.  O0
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
I've got some good news, interesting news and bad news.

• The good news is that Ultra sent over another 750W Titanium PSU for us to test out and compare with the original which didn't do so hot.
  • The interesting news is that at first glance it appears to be less "noisy" when running small to average loads.
  • The bad news is that the ripple is just as bad as the first unit and while this unit will actually allow us to boot into Windows - it still crashes the system if we try and run 3DMark06 at 1920x1200 with 8x AA.  The 12v1 rail is the worst and it simply cannot run our system when we demand a 520W power draw from the wall.

Keep in mind that we are only pulling a maximum of 375W output through the DC lines as this PSU states it is no more than 72% efficient.  If we were pulling a 500W+ output, I could maybe, possibly (but probably not) justify the instability, but as it is the unit simply can't power a Q6600 and a couple of 8800GTX cards where we've seen other 750W units, and even a 650W unit manage the same system.

Ultra simply needs to lower the rating on this PSU or go back and put some better components inside.

A part of me is really sad that this unit didn't do better.  While it would have meant that we'd owe some people an apology, we would have done so gladly.  As it is, we have stood by our guns, re-ran the tests on a new PSU and achieved very similar data with the same final result.  The PSU simply cannot perform.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:00:59 PM by Zeus »

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
Clap Clap!! thanks for the update. Maybe a re-badge is in order.  O0 At leasts it looks pretty. It's awesome that Ultra has sent another out to test, but is this in the making of a bad batch... remember some mobo's that the capacitors just blew up?? I'm curious in what my PS is like now... will it go for a bigger upgrade if I decide too??  ::)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »
The X-Pro is a good PSU and seemed to be rated accordingly.  The X3 is also a good PSU and is rated appropriately.  The X2 seems a little light on the power and heavy on the looks.