Author Topic: In need of advice  (Read 5665 times)

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
In need of advice
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Ive been contemplating something for a while now, and I'm still sitting on the fence about it. I'm contemplating selling off my main rig and my macbook, and buying a macbook pro to replace everything.

Heres what I'd be loosing:

Main Rig
Core 2 Duo E6750
4GB DDR2 6400
500GB HD
GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
Antec P180 Case
DVDRW

Macbook
Core Duo 2 Ghz
2GB Ram
120GB HD
DVDRW
Intel Graphics

What I would gain:

MacBook Pro 15"
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

Here's my thoughts behind making this move. I am not playing games as much as I used to. When I do, its usually COD4 or WoW. The 8600 mobile chip will handle both of those just fine. I do more web surfing and web design than anything lately, and its nice to be able to keep everything mobile. Space is becoming an issue, I would like to keep 1 of my 21" monitors on an LCD arm attached to my desk, and have next to nothing else on it. With the macbook pro, I can still dual monitor with it, and plug in a keyboard and mouse for design/gaming. I am getting into video editing, and have learned and am starting to love final cut on OS X.

Last but not least is the money aspect of it. I am always finding something else to be upgrading in my PC every month or two. With the laptop, I can only upgrade so far, then I'm stuck. This means a machine would end up lasting me 18 to 24 months before upgrades. Plus, its a bigger decision to upgrade a $2500 notebook than it is to buy 2 more $100 hard drives. In the long run, I think it would save me money.

I'd love to hear everyones thoughts... am I shooting myself in the foot by going to a one notebook setup?  Or is this going to become more and more common in the near future?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:35:16 PM by SoltoN »

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
Re: in need of advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
I purchased a laptop about a year ago with somewhat of the same intentions, I've actually used two different laptops (15.4 inch Lenovo T60, almost identical specs to the macbook you mentioned minus the video card, and more recently switched to a 12.1 inch Lenovo X60). My intention was to move everything I do day-to-day to the laptop and pretty much replace my desktop (I've got a test rig that I do any gaming on, so any gaming (not that I do a ton) would be done elsewhere)

I'm a dual-screen junkie, even with an external monitor on my laptop I found myself going back to my desktop for majority of things I do, a 15.4 laptop screen and a 20" Viewsonic just seemed akward to me, and after a couple weeks of using it alot, I sorta migrated back to the old desktop, even though the T60 laptop performance-wise was better. (I have two monitors on a raised dual-screen bracket, which is pretty hard to beat having both monitors raised and at the same level beside each other)

(My "Primary" rig that I do majority of work on, and light gaming is a AMD 3800+ X2, 2 gig mem, ATI Radeon X850XT...Nothing Special, and I haven't upgraded anything major in quite a while)

As for gaming, the 8600M GT is sufficient for now, but your not going to be running anything too crazy resolution/quality-wise, it will be a step back from your 8800 GTS (naturally), but a year down the road when new stuff comes out....might not be so impressive performance-wise, so I guess it might end up being the same issue as you'd have with the desktop and wanting to upgrade once the new games start to chug, but its a bit more expensive to upgrade a laptop than it is to pop in a new video card on a desktop.

Basically what I've done is I kept my desktop and traded my 15.4 T60 in on a nice portable 12.1 X60, and have just decided to resist the need to continually upgrade my main rig, when I do an upgrade it won't be anything too crazy, it will be a Quad-Core something, but I won't be spending much money at all. So basically I've got a half-decent desktop for everything day to day when I am at home that I never turn off, and it never moves, and a nice portable laptop that can do everything I need to do if I'm away. Overall I've been very happy with the setup, but I completely understand your want to go to a single system, but I've tried it and I just wasn't satisfied.

It almost sounds to me though that your trying to justify upgrading the laptop, and having a tough time justifying the hefty pricetag (Maybe I'm wrong, but when I'm trying to justify a major purchase like that do pretty much the same thing). I think personally I'd keep the desktop and upgrade the laptop, just because how much are you going to get for your main rig? Unless you find the right person, a used 6750 rig isn't worth an extreme amount..

Hopefully my reply helps in some way, but chances are good it might leave you just as confused...

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: In need of advice
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »
Some things money can't buy - like a macbook that works for everything.  I wouldn't get crazy and dump everything for a single notebook in my opinion.  I use my laptop almost every day for a few things, but truth be told, sitting down at a PC that is easy, convenient and cheap to upgrade storage and stuff like that is, well, just plain nice.

I use my laptop for pretty much everything I use my main PC for, but the desktop unit feels faster thanks to faster spindle speed of HDDs and such.  My laptop is a Core 2 Duo and actually out-performs my 4200+ X2 but I'd be scared to death to put all my life in a single notebook and take it with me everywhere.  There is a lot of data that I only keep on my desktop (and backup server of course) that I don't want to take with me.  If you have a lot of proprietary code for web-design, it's not a good idea to pack that with you... just ask the 1000's of executives that lose their laptops every year with corporate info on them.

Just another side to the story, but I'd love to grab the Macbook Pro regardless.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
I don't see a laptop doing it all for you....I run a Dell XPS 1210 laptop (2.2 Core 2 with 2 GB Ram and a 7400 video card). I love the laptop for what it is - Small portable device with decent HP. Having said that I would hate to have to edit a movie or work on a big spreadsheet on a 12" screen. I love my Quad Core desktop with the 8800 and 4 GB of ram. The dual 21" monitors are perfect - I could not go back to a single monitor desktop setup again. I think that the role of the two types of computer are so different that if you try and force one to do it all you end up with a machine that really does not excel at any one area. Look at some of those desktop replacement laptops at 8 pounds and 40 min battery life - Boo. Why not just keep your current laptop and by a cheap iMac....That will stop your upgrade issues and give you a good machine for video editing plus you can boot camp your games.
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »
actually it leaves me in the exact same spot i am in now, because you just described my fears of making the switch. The gaming side of things isn't going to be the killer for me, but the dual monitor for everyday things is what might really kill me. Right now I have a 19" wide and a 21" wide dual monitor setup, mounted at the same hight, same as you. I love it. There is nothing nicer than being able to work in photoshop and be looking at the site you are working on at the same time.

I know the video card is going to be a tough one to get used to, but since i'm really not gaming all that much aside from the odd mmo lately, I don't think it will be a killer beyond that. The main reason i'm looking to make the switch is because of the video editing. I love final cut, and there is nothing that even comes close on the windows side. I'm not afraid to make the whole hearted switch to mac, I do about 70% of my daily activity on it as it is now.

Hard drive space isn't an issue, firewire enclosures are cheap, and I already have almost 2 terabytes of network attached and USB storage combined. 

The price for the desktop is what is going to kill. I imagine to get it to sell, it will be $900 including the 19" LCD. I already have a buyer for my macbook, they are willing to pay $800, That is going to leave me with about a $1500 bill to flip.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
I guess the other option is to sell off the macbook, and go to a refurbished pro with a 128mb 8600 GT for $1500

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA1&nclm=CertifiedMac

at least that way I still get the editing and i'm only eating about $800 instead of $1500