Author Topic: Guide to Palm on XP64 - any hope???  (Read 5644 times)

Offline helodrvr

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Guide to Palm on XP64 - any hope???
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
I tried the bluetooth adapter with my Palm T/X (http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2578&Itemid=40).  The installation went fine up until the final step.  The hotsync began then I got an error that stated that "comm port 3 was in use".  After a little research, I tried with comm ports from 3 through 8 but always got the same message, that the comm port was in use by another program.

i watched the Applications Manager while doing this and could never identify another program using the virtual comm ports.  This is very frustrating.  I feel as if I was so close to being able to migrate my T/X and Palm to my new computer but was stopped at the gate, or comm port as the case may be.

Any suggestions or help???

Mel

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: Guide to Palm on XP64 - any hope???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
Hey Mel,

I read your question and will look into this right away, but have to get at another project for a few hours.  I'll be back and try and help you out in a bit.  Hang on!!!

Offline helodrvr

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
No problem.  I will check back later!  Thanks.

Mel

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »
Have you successfully added your Bluetooth device to your computer?  Make sure you follow step-by-step the process of setting up your computer and also the palm device on page three here..

If you've done all that and still have no love it could be a connections database error.  On your computer to go c:\palm\username\backup folder, locate the file named connectiondb.pdb and delete it.  For best results do a Hard Reset to kill all programs and data and then re-sync.  This should help a whole bunch.

Obviously you'll lose your data and have to reinstall your data but this should do it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:01:24 PM by Zeus »

Offline helodrvr

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
I don't have a c:\palm\username\backup folder yet because I have never been able to sync with my new computer.  So far, there is no connectiondb.pdb to be found.

I did remove my palm from the bluetooth devices and start again with your tutorial, step by step.  I can add the device to the computer.  I can add and remove virtual ports.  But everytime I get to the last step, after I hit the HotSync button on my Palm T/X screen, I get the following message,

"Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application."

Any ideas?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:02 AM »
Try plugging your USB dongle into a different port and initiate the hotsync from your Palm - not the computer.  It's worked for some people.  That's too bad it's giving you trouble.  The web is full of people who can't get it to work with either mac or windows.  What version of Palm Desktop / Hotsync are you using?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:38:41 AM »
I'm not sure if you've checked out the Windows Hotsync FAQ.

Here is the latest Palm Desktop and Hotsync Manager.  I'd uninstall the old software, reboot and try this.  This version is 4.1.4E

Also here is the latest DST update that may help resolve some issues.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:39:52 AM by Zeus »

Offline helodrvr

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »
I have Version 4.1.4.  I have tried the USB dongle in several USB ports on my machine.  I have read and reread the Hotsync FAQ finding no reference anywhere to ports being in use by another application.  I was not aware there was any other way to initiate a  HotSync other than on the Palm T/X itself when using a USB Dongle.  I don't see any option for that on Palm Desktop.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, tried ports from 2-15, and I always get the same error messate, "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application." 

What am I doing wrong?  This is a new Dell Precision Workstation 690 with two 1.6 GHz DuoCore processors and 8 GB of RAM running Windows XP Professional x64 with all the service packs and updates.  I am not running any other wireless devices.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Mel

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »
I'm at a loss as I don't have a Palm anymore for testing.  I'll still try and give you a hand though.  I'll try later today.