Author Topic: [Frontpage News]eeeMac?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
[Frontpage News]eeeMac?
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5848&Itemid=1

If your a fan of a nice sleek all-in-one computer, but don't want to go the Mac route, the folks over at Asus might have an alternative for you. From the makers of the the popular Eee PC, comes some new information on their next product, the Eee Monitor which looks very similar to the iMac  (Coincidence?). This product is rumored to be available in September, and I'm going to go o. . .

Any thoughts on this? I personally don't mind the look of it, I'm not a fan of the iMac look though either. I'm interested to see what fans on the iMac styling think of this.

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]eeeMac?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:40:27 AM »
I like the styling of the imac, but I cant say that I am a huge fan of this. I think it a great step towards moving general use desktop PCs and workstations to a less cluttered, single power cable design, but I've got a really sketchy feeling about the way that it stands up. I don't like the idea of a computer having to balance and lean.

I think the use of hte atom processor and linux will ultimately be the downfall of the machine, as i personally feel the atom is underpowered for desktop application, and as far as ubuntu has taken us in terms of usability in linux, there are a few hangups (like proprietary driver support out of the box) that will keep it from becoming mainstream. my parents don't know, nor want to know what a proprietary driver is.

Offline coniglietta

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »
I converted my parents to linux and honestly they do not know the difference.

As far as this machine, the company I work for uses neoware thin clients which basically run a copy of linux with rdp and terminal support. If they can get the prices on these things down to a few hundred dollars I am pretty sure I can convince the right people that this thing would be the way to go. I would sure like to not have to worry about buying an lcd screen to go with our thin clients. Also it would give the user some versatility as far as running their own system. Most of our users run open office as is anyways.

Looks pimp to me =)

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »
I think the $500 dollar price tag for an all-in-one pc that doesn't look half decent will really make this a popular choice for everyday users and business users also