Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Axiom Audiobyte Audiophile Computer Speakers  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Axiom Audiobyte Audiophile Computer Speakers

We have just posted up a review of the amazing Axiom Audiobyte speakers for the audiophiles computer.  These speakers offer great performance, flawless sound quality and clarity that can't be beat.  They won't shake your brain until it bleeds but they are possibly the best things we've ever hooked up to a soundcard.  2.1 Channels will set you back over $500 so check out our review before you drop your cash.

The Axiom Audiobyte speakers with EPZero subwoofer are certainly not for everyone.  These speakers sit in a niche market that attracts audiophiles or audio connoisseurs if you will.  The sound quality is impeccable and the clarity is amazing.  While there certainly are many other companies that offer louder speakers for less money, they certainly don't sound near as nice. . .

Please feel free to post your thoughts, comments and questions.  The post below contains the Q&A I had with Ian Colquhoun at Axiom.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:54:39 PM by Zeus »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: [Frontpage News]Axiom Audiobyte Audiophile Computer Speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
BCCHardware: What made Axiom Audio decide to pursue the computer speaker market when they are already entrenched in the home audio market? It was customer requests that started this project.
Ian - Axiom: Our customers were tired of low quality sound that came from computer speakers and we had so many requests to bring out a proper sounding mini system to hook up to a computer or i-pod.

BCCHardware: What is your commitment to quality in terms of sound?
Ian - Axiom: We are all about sound quality.  This is the cornerstone of our company and we have made enormous investments to have one of the best acoustical laboratories in the world to continue making it happen.

BCCHardware: I know many other speakers shake the walls when they are cranked up listening to bass-heavy music, but the Audiobytes do not.  Why? 
Ian - Axiom: The Audiobyte sub (the EPZero) is designed to be linear in response.  Commonly computer speaker systems have what we call one note subs.  This type of design focuses all the energy around creating a heavy peak over a narrow frequency band.  A linear sub will not pound unrealistically at a few frequencies but will rather play back the source material as it was recorded.

BCCHardware: Why choose a passive sub-woofer as an add-on with the Audiobytes over a powered solution?
Ian - Axiom: The Audiobyte amp also has a line level RCA jack output for use with any of our other subs.  In fact many people have been pairing this system up with our EP400 DSP controlled sub http://www.axiomaudio.com/ep400.html .  The EPZero was added to our sub line-up for this product so people had both a less expense option for a sub and one where the sub did not need to be plugged into the wall separately.

BCCHardware: Why does the bass sound “weak” on this set with the powered subwoofer?  Would a powered subwoofer provide a more accurate audio reproduction?
Ian - Axiom: I gather you mean the passive EPZero sub when you are asking about “weak”.  This is pretty much the same answer as above.  The EPZero is designed to be linear.  If you are used to a one note sub that is artificially boosting certain frequencies then the EPZero will sound “weak”.  A powered sub allows you to control the volume of the sub separate from the volume of the satellites which means you can create heavy bass by simply setting the sub at a higher output then the satellites. The EPZero sub of course is preset to be at the same output level as the satellites and has only a minor adjustment for deviation from that balance.

BCCHardware: Who do you feel is your direct competition in the high-end audiophile computer market, or do you have any?
Ian - Axiom: One of the reasons our customers were requesting us to make this product was the lack of any type of computer speaker like this in the market.  We are probably pretty much alone with a true HiFi computer speaker system.

BCCHardware: With the passive subwoofer connected there was some audio clipping at high volume levels.  Was this due to the amp being under-powered?  Is there a higher watt amp available?
Ian - Axiom: Amp power is all a matter of how loud you want it to play.  The same amp can have way more power than someone needs to one person and not enough for the next.  We have a higher power version of the amp coming out in the fall.  It is over double the power.

BCCHardware: What type of consumer will by the Axiom Audiobyte speakers? 
Ian - Axiom: This is for sure an Audiophile product but really anyone who wants a great audio performance from their computer system or i-pod is a customer for this product.

BCCHardware: Compared to Klipsch – what makes your speakers better?
Ian - Axiom: There are a number of great speaker companies producing some great speakers but Klipsch is not one of them.  Klipsch has built their entire design philosophy around the horn tweeter and a coloured amplitude response.  These go directly against the research we did at the NRC into what design parameters would produce products that could consistently win double blind listening tests.

BCCHardware: What can we expect to see in the computer audio market from Axiom Audio in the future? 
Ian - Axiom: We are working on the higher powered amp as mentioned above and also a 5.1 version of this product.

BCCHardware: Thanks for your time and explaining a few details about the Axiom Audiobyte speakers.
Ian - Axiom: Nice to hear from you again and I hope you are having a great summer