Author Topic: esata  (Read 6509 times)

Offline kricky

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
esata
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:18:09 PM »
I have a sumvision e-sataII Apex Plus External HDD with a 1TB sata Drive
My Motherboard is an ASRock K10N78hSLI-GLAN (Goin by the book it came with)
My problem is: If I use an eSATA cable to connect the External HDD the PC doesn't reconize it ???
I tried to read the Manual, But it might as well be in double Dutch, talking about Esata Sata i/o devices an raid 1 or 5  :o
The driver that came with the External HDD is an USB to SATA Bridge (something or other) for windows98, Which is no use, but I did install it, just to see. Nothing!
Im running Vista Ultimate....... Any ideas Guys?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re: esata
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum kricky!  I believe I've got the answer for your eSATA problem.  Does your motherboard have an orange SATA header up by the rear I/O as well as down in the main SATA port cluster?  If it does, you have to connect a cable from the orange SATA header at the cluster to the orange SATA header up by the keyboard/mouse connector on the back of the motherboard.

Once that is done, you'll be off and running!

See if your board is similar to this one here: ASRock K10N78hSLI-WiFi

Offline kricky

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
HI Zeus. thanks for the welcome.
I have tried connecting the 2 orange sata connectors inside the case, but to no avail. I do not believe it is a problem with the sata cable, as I used the cable for the dvd drive. I even took apart the External HDD case to see if there was a Switch on the wee Board, But no use.
To your second question, No it is not the same 5 things jump out straight away
1: Below the Model number, Mine is missing that chip, I assume that is the Wifi
2: Rear sound connectors, Mine has 5 that has 6, Due to the wifi model havin 7.1 sound.
3: Three Blocks where the USB Ports are located, Mine does not have the large connector at the top of the Middle block.
4: Beside the rear single sata connector, Mine has a 8 pin white connector, that has 4 Pins
5: All the small Cylinder looking components, These have different coloured stickers on top of them.

I have Considered putting it inside the case, But that would make it difficult to bring over to a friends house.

Thanks for your support.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 03:07:45 PM »
Hey kricky,

In your BIOS do you have your SATA ports set as IDE, AHCI or RAID?  In order to get the eSATA port working correctly and hot-swappable, you will need to set the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI or RAID.  You don't have to use RAID, just set it as such and let me know.

Offline kricky

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Hi Zeuz
In my bios I went into Ide Configeration an set the SATA operational Mode from Non-Raid to Raid and the PC would not boot at all, I tried AHCI same thing.   So It has to be on Non-Raid in order to boot. This is what another forum said, I have tried them all to the best of my knowledge. It just wont work

In the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), you might have to enable the eSATA port.
Have a look around in here, and let me know if you find anything.

Just had another quick look in your manual - it might be worth noting this...

1. If you set “SATA Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup to AHCI or RAID mode, Hot
Plug function is supported with eSATAII devices. Therefore, you can insert or remove
your eSATAII devices to the eSATAII ports while the system is power-on and in
working condition.
2. If you set “SATA Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup to non-RAID mode, Hot Plug
function is not supported with eSATAII devices. If you still want to use eSATAII
function in non-RAID mode, please insert or remove your eSATAII devices to the
eSATAII ports only when the system is power-off.
3. If you want to use the eSATAII HDD as an OS disk, please set “SATA Operation
Mode” option in BIOS setup to non-RAID mode. If you want to use the eSATAII HDD
as a removable data disk, please set “SATA Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup
to RAID mode. If you want to add the eSATAII HDD as a RAID disk, please set “SATA
Operation Mode” option in BIOS setup to RAID mode.
4. Please do not configure your eSATAII HDD as a RAID disk; otherwise, it may affect
the Hot Plug function that eSATAII HDD should have.
5. Please refer to page 35 to 39 for detailed information of RAID mode, non-RAID
mode and AHCI mode.