Author Topic: Researcher interested in LANs  (Read 14818 times)

Offline Nils

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Researcher interested in LANs
« on: September 09, 2003, 08:18:37 AM »
Hi,

My name is Nils Olson.  I am a videogame researcher from the University of Calgary in the faculty of Communication and Culture.  As a researcher I am especially interested in groups of friends and communities of players that come together to play games, socialize, and have fun.  Specifically, I am most interested in how videogame players communicate while playing and how they understand themselves as game players.

I would be very interested in attending your next LAN party as a researcher.  At the moment this research would have three parts which should not interfere with the party too much.  Most of the time I will be observing your group and taking notes.  I would also be interested in speaking with and recording the game play of one or two players.  Finally, at the end of the party I would like to ask the group a few questions about the LAN parties and gaming in general.

Does this sound like something all of you would be interested in? Please post any feedback or contact me directly (nkolson@ucalgary.ca) if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions for the research.

Thanks,
Nils

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re:Researcher interested in LANs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 01:30:09 PM »
I don't think that would be to much of a problem in most cases.  In past LANs we've had members from the paper come and do a little article on the parties we've had.  I am not the owner or administrator of this board but normally usually not a  problem.  
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:40:46 PM »
I personally don't see much of a problem with that.  Are you interested in coming to a VulcLAN in Vulcan?  If any LAN will do, some of our Forum Members will be at The Portal in Lethbridge on September 20.

If you attend the Portal, you'll have to talk to somebody over there.  It is up to the host of the party who/how many can come and spectate.

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 07:33:13 PM »
sounds like it would be sorta interesting, hopefully we wouldn't have to take any IQ tests or anything, cause the results would probably be negative!

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 08:13:38 PM »
Hey a video game researcher!! Now Why didn't I go to University LOL. I'm Kool with the idea. Mostly the games we play as of this date is bf1942  and Unreal 2003. So this means ppl that we should have another LAN party?
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 09:03:28 PM »
I like your reasoning

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 09:56:28 PM »
Being studied sounds good to me.  This means free pizza for the test subjects right  ;D   Of couse the final decision would be up to whoever is hosting the lan party.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 06:27:22 PM »
Hey should we send this guy out in the country LOL!! I like the pizza deal sounds good. Just one thing I'd like to ask Nils Olson, do you plan to go around and say Veeerry intresting like lab rats? Naw just kidding hope this works out for you, we will make you work for it!!
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline anti-air_grenade

• Static Discharge
  • So.. you like... stuff?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 06:23:18 PM »
I would like to participate. I just need some cd's to install the games and a date.

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 09:52:33 AM »
I think we should start throwing around some dates for a possible VulcLAN! now that harvest is done or nearly done, we should try and get a Lan party organized, or maybe its just me

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 11:04:41 AM »
What!?  A LAN party without Howdy Duty?  That's just no possible is it?  Maybe you can have the LAN over at Threads and I can bring my computer into one of the labs and join you remotely.  Let me know if you decide on a date, and maybe I can get wired up for a day.

-HD

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 07:38:17 PM »
Hey i like that idea of remote deal for HD how soon are we planning for and what are we going to play? BF might not be a good idea for me as i dont have the newest stuff installed...

Offline Nicao

• Mmm . . . Linux. . .
  • BCC Admin
  • Case Whacker
  • Linux Rocks
    • View Profile
    • S.L.A.G.D.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 09:53:37 PM »
Lan party is out for me for at least a couple of weeks.  We have a Lan in Lethbridge this saturday,  and it looks like I'll be tied up doing sound for the month of October.
Life is a toilet.  As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 03:16:18 PM »
Sorry seeker, but we absolutly must play BF.  I'm just getting good at it! ;)

-HD

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 04:33:40 PM »
Battlefield is about the only thing I've been playing, even though I play maybe 30 minutes a week