Author Topic: Boxee  (Read 4777 times)

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
Boxee
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »
Has anybody played with Boxee yet? For those that have not heard of Boxee....it lets you record TV shows over the internet and play them on your TV as well as your photo and MP3 collection plus a ton more stuff. The have a Mac version ( most are using Apple TV hardware) and a Linux version. I was thinking of tossing together a Linux version using some old HP 933 mhz mini PCs (toaster style)I have. If I like it I was thinking of buying the $249 Apple TV and doing the hardware hack to install a larger HD.

Boxee Forum for more info
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!

Offline Fujitsu

• JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
Re: Boxee
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
I haven't heard much about boxee, however on a somewhat related note I found a program called TVersity (Its been around for a while, I'm just a bit behind) that is great for streaming media to a PS3 regardless of the codecs and format (ps3 is sorta picky with what it lets you play), I have it setup to stream media off my NAS to my PS3 which is handy because I no longer have to burn it to dvd to watch on my projector.

The recording over the internet is an interesting option though, I might have to check this out, thanks for the heads up

Offline MegaHz

• Solder Master
  • Steam Name : MegaHz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »
Ive played with boxee for a while on my macbook pro and really like it. From what I've read the apple TV is slightly underpowered and gets sluggish while running boxee, Ive got an apple TV, just havent had time to load it up and test it out yet, I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

The only downside to boxee is Hulu integration. Its an awesome service, but only available in the US. I was actually thinking of renting a cheap US based linux VPS for $5 a month and setting up a squid proxy to filter all the boxee traffic through so i can get access to hulu and pandora.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
I just got am invite to the Windows Alpha testing for Boxee.
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!