Author Topic: [Frontpage News]October Cooling Contest!  (Read 52890 times)

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]October Cooling Contest!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »
Just as a suggestion for any future contests that incorporate a similar idea; having users include their forum username hand written on a price of paper in their entry/entries is a good idea to prevent cheating.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:30:52 PM by werty316 »
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline eden999

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
did you even take a look at tthe picture in the link. I'm obviously not the first to take pictures off google/ whatever
Again, how does that relate to this contest?
wow can u not browse throught he pictures, and see that pscyhonoob used on of those pictures from the website to even partake in this contest until i saw that.

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
So there are 2 cheaters now.

wow can u not browse throught he pictures, and see that pscyhonoob used on of those pictures from the website to even partake in this contest until i saw that.
You should have said that in the first place. Instead of cheating why didn't you report him? Did you think following by his example was fine?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:32:18 PM by werty316 »
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline eden999

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
still, the contest never stipulated in the rules, plus he said you could take photos of those that are not your own, plus do NOT accuse me of cheating on other websites, because thtat's just ridiculous. You're basing it on the fact that i aqssumed, if one person can do it i can as well. Does not mean i was cheating.

Offline eden999

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »
also, zues's original photo was also taken off the web, so i  thoguht it meant we could.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
Here's a quote from the contest page - over here.

In order to get in to win, you have to post up a picture of your nasty cooler.  The dirtier the better, but please don't destroy your entire PC in order to win.  These coolers retail for ~$60 - $80 so it's a nice bonus and will help you keep your PC running cool and quiet.

I never assumed that people would try and scam the site for a free cooler.  I'll admit that I said you could take pictures of other computers, but the reality is that some people were too lazy to do that, but not too lazy to google for pictures and claim them as their own.

When I questioned eden999, he said that he was a camera freak.  The problem is that the EXIF tags showed that he was a liar as one of them actually was copyrighted - and not by him.  I may have let some of the pictures slide, as I clearly said...

Remember, you can take a picture of a different heatsink (not your own) and send that it for another chance to win!

These were not his pictures.  I guess I expected a little honestly, and what I got was a lot of scamming.  To be fair I allowed each of the obvious offenders a single entry and gave them credit that at least one of the pictures belonged to them, or they actually took it.

Keep in mind a couple of things.  1) I said take a picture of your own heatsink, and 2) take a picture of your friends heatsink.  I never said download content from other websites, violate their copyright and terms of service and post it up here pretending it's your own.  That is what has happened.  Cheating or not, I don't like being lied to.

People.  Use Common Sense.  Cheating or whatever is lame.  Lying is so 4-year old'ish.  If you want to keep contests going at BCCHardware.com suck it up and actually read what I've posted.  Please refer to quotes 1 & 2 above.

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough, but really, don't lie about it when questioned.  Next time it will be more clear.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:44:58 PM by Zeus »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
eden999: Seriously dude.  Grab a clue.  I took the photo with my camera phone.  Please show me where it is on the web.  If you found it on flicker it is probably in the bcchardware stream - which, um, I own.  Get your facts straight before you try and pass off your behavior on someone else.

also, zues's original photo was also taken off the web, so i  thoguht it meant we could.

I believe you mean this image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcchardware/3983817137/

That would have been hilarious if you'd have used one of my pictures for the contest...  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:56:54 PM by Zeus »

Offline eden999

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
personally, i think you should not hold contests. I really don't care if i win or not, just trying to post up pictures. You can disqualify me and i don't really care, not like i have a desktop computer that can use it anways.

Edited for personal attacks and forum rule violation #10. Forum rules here
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:50:23 PM by Zeus »

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 06:16:21 AM »
I haven't dropped by this thread in a while (I have no need for a new CPU cooler) and WOW - this thread sure derailed  :(.   

personally, i think you should not hold contests. I really don't care if i win or not, just trying to post up pictures. You can disqualify me and i don't really care, not like i have a desktop computer that can use it anways

Sites like BCC hold contests to bring in new people and reward their loyal readers.  Running a hardware site is a lot of work so how about being thankful for a shot of free stuff.  I know a lot of people enjoy a good contest, especially when it gives them a shot at some nice upgrades.  If you have no use for the prize, why enter?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:18:07 AM by x.clay »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 06:31:11 AM »
Thanks x.clay.  We will continue to hold contests for the reasons you specified - reward our loyal readers and to welcome new readers.  Stick around we've got a new contest coming very soon!

Offline Zenphic

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
An unfortunate turns of events. I thought the rules were fairly well laid out. Obviously, you have to know when to stop posting pictures to give a chance to others.

personally, i think you should not hold contests. I really don't care if i win or not, just trying to post up pictures. You can disqualify me and i don't really care, not like i have a desktop computer that can use it anways.

Edited for personal attacks and forum rule violation #10. Forum rules here
That is sure a harsh thing to say for someone who is at fault. And to say you wanted to maximize your chances to win something you had no use for...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:07:14 PM by Zenphic »

Offline slugbug

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
I skipped this one because I recently won a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme and really had no use for another heatsink. Good luck to everyone who entered with their own pics.

Offline werty316

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
I skipped this one because I recently won a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme and really had no use for another heatsink. Good luck to everyone who entered with their own pics.
Winners: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=61&topic=2491.msg11464#msg11464
allyourbasearebelongtous

Offline x.clay

• Static Discharge
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
congrats to the winners  :)

Offline Cottonmouth

• BCC GMod
  • BCC n00b
  • I Hear That!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
Wow, dude. get a clue!!!!!