Author Topic: [Frontpage News]Zalman MS1000-HS2 Case  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
[Frontpage News]Zalman MS1000-HS2 Case
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
Zalman MS1000-HS2 Case

We have just posted our review of the Zalman MS1000-HS2 Case.  This case has a lot of features that put it in the server segment, but the cost and good looks make it a great enthusiast case.  If you are a storage junkie you'll love the six hot-swap HDD bays and noise dampened side panel.  It's a great case that can be had for $175 so make sure to check out our review for all the details.

While there is a lot to like with the Zalman MS1000-HS2, there are a couple of things that bug me a little bit with this case.  As previously mentioned, the lack of fan on the second HDD module makes drives installed in that bay a little too warm for my liking.  Granted, many users will not use more than three drives, but for the cost of a single fan, I believe Zalman should have stepped up and provided one with this case. . .

Please feel free to post your comments and questions right here!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:43:20 PM by Zeus »

Offline FGO

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]Zalman MS1000-HS2 Case
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:12:52 AM »
Thanks for the review :)
Have you measured the temperatures of hard drives, CPU and GPU?
Is there enough place between side panel and mobo tray to keep all cabels? Don't they deform side panel?
And what do you think: is it possible to install this radiator under the top of the case? Maybe using fans with less heigh?

Thanks.

Sorry for my English

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:20:58 AM »
The Hard Drives remained cool when a 92mm fan was placed in each module.  Although I don't have drive temps, I pulled working drives and they felt cool - not even warm - actually cool.

In terms of temperatures, the case performed somewhere between the M59 and the Element S.  This is not surprising as there isn't a ton of intake air in this case.  There is room for an additional top 120mm fan as well as an intake 120mm fan at the bottom however.

There should be room for the radiator you mentioned as the case actually supports two 140mm fans at the top.  I can't guarantee it, but it looks like there should be clearance.

Offline kkaputt

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:32:32 AM »
Thanks for the honest review. I bought two of the cases here in Germany. There were some issues i would like to mention: the side panel metal was slightly bended (both cases) so that the panels did not
fit planar on the case. This resulted in a nasty vibrational sound. ("re-bending" the panels did not work so well, because due to the very thin metal, if you bend one area in one direction another area gets bended in the opposite direction.)
The electronics of the power switch (both cases) was not positioned exactly under the power switch button. So if you press the button in the middle, i might happen that the power does not turn on.
I had to fix this by soldering the connection to a corrected position.
The screwholes in rear panel for the power supply are not placed very exactly. For instance, i had problems to position a Seasonic M12.

Besides that, i totally agree with the pros and cons of your nice review. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:34:16 AM by kkaputt »

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.  For the record, our PSU fit perfectly with no issues and screw hole spacing differences.  Also I thought the side panel fit very securely and fit snug all the way around.

I don't know if cases for different countries are manufactured in different facilities, but the overall quality of our sample was very good.  It's good to know that there is a difference with the Germany sold-cases.

Offline kkaputt

• BCC n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:21 AM »
I bought that case during a special trade action from a big German online store. Other poeple who bought this case reported the poor quality of the case afterwards in the store forum. So it seems that might be problem with 'quality control' @ Zalman. All customers reported the bent side panels !!
Mine look like so :

Anyway, besides that the case would be the almost perfect.  ;)