Author Topic: Episode #53 - Google Now With Caffeine  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Episode #53 - Google Now With Caffeine
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
We have just posted up Episode #53 of Weekly Tech Update.  Below are the show notes and more.
This episode of Weekly Tech Update is brought to you by CoolIT Systems.

Download Episode #53
Subscribe to the feed.
Subscribe in iTunes!
Subscribe in Zune Marketplace!

Apple iPad Security Breach Leaves over 114,000 Exposed 2:11
It appears that the “great” idea to streamline iPad activation backfired and over 114,000 people’s emails and personal information was compromised.  Thanks to hackers and a really stupid security / activation idea, even very prominent people’s accounts were laid open.  Someone is in a lot of trouble.

Google’s Caffeine 8:07
While Google has always been a really good search engine, more people are turning to live search indexes like those available through facebook, twitter and other social networks.  Google has refined their algorithms to make search fresher and more relevant.  Still, bots have to index the content on pages in order to provide results – twitter still wins in terms of speed of relevant search results- if the service is up.

Did Twitter just kill URL Shorteners? 15:26
Jason pretty much hates Twitter and he can’t see how they can make money.  In another venture to spend money and not make anything, they are working at integrating their own URL shortener which will use t.co/links to redirect you to pages that are wrapped in their frame.  This will give them potential to serve you more ads – although I don’t see it being all that popular considering how many people use API’s.

10 Things Microsoft Must do to Succeed on the Web 19:00
Microsoft does need to realize that software is going more on the cloud than on desktop machines, and Techvert has some ideas on things they need to do to keep current.  MS is known for playing catch-up and by investing more money in search, acquiring a few web companies, and following some of the Google examples, they can still take the lead going forward.  They do have their work cut out for them.

Judge: P2P is Like Sharing a Book 34:00
I somehow thing that this Judge’s logic is a little messed up when you can “lend” your “book” to over a million people at once.  Still, this is a win for the P2P community and I’m sure the people charged with piracy are pretty happy about the ruling.  I’m thinking that there may be an appeal.

Just FYI, Telus issues cease and desist letters to those who upload (not download) UFC fights.

iPhone OS 4 Cracked – in a Matter of Hours 38:50
In another prime example of anti-piracy measures not working, the iPhone OS 4 has been cracked within hours of being pre-released on some devices.  It goes to show that companies (yes, even Apple), need to embrace an open platform.  ‘Nuff said.

Steve Jobs iPhone Demo Goes Wrong 40:43
Let’s face it; demo’s can suck.  In fact, no matter how hard you prepare, things can screw up.  When it happens to Steve Jobs it’s a little more funny – especially when he comes up with some great quotes:
"You know, you could help me out if you're on Wi-Fi, if you could just get off. … I'd appreciate it."
"Well, I'm sorry, guys, I don't know what's going on," he said, looking around for help. ""Uh ... Scott, got any suggestions?"
Of course, some snarky goofball in the audience just couldn't resist. "Verizon!"

Android 2.2 Upgrade List 44:15
If you are considering an Android device, make sure you look at this list and see if your device will get the much coveted Android 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade.  Below is a list of the device that WILL be getting the upgrade for sure.
  • Nexus One
  • Motorola Droid
  • HTC Droid Incredible
  • HTC EVO 4G
  • MyTouch 3G and MyTouch 3G Slide
  • HTC Desire

Recent Articles & Reviews:
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W PSU
Thermaltake Element V Full Tower Case

Upcoming BCCHardware features:
ASRock X58 Extreme 3 Motherboard
Thermaltake A90 Case
Able Plant NC500TF Headphones & Linx Audio Microphone
Crucial Ballistix with Temperature Sensor

Follow us on Twitter
Ben Heide is twitter.com/bcchardware
WeeklyTechUpdate is twitter.com/wtupdate
Send your comments directly to us at podcast@bcchardware.com or post them below in the forum.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:19:18 PM by Zeus »