Author Topic: SATA RAID 0 Review Feedback  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
SATA RAID 0 Review Feedback
« on: October 16, 2003, 04:40:04 AM »
In case you missed it, I've posted a review of the WD1200JD drives here.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Offline Seeker

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
Re:SATA RAID 0 Review Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 05:30:47 PM »
Well you got me thinking about this sata raid...Time to upgrade again lol
Remember kids, if you happen to find yourself upside down and on fire, you've just discovered the meaning of "too fast".

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 06:42:08 PM »
Me Too, I'm thinking about possibly dual Raptors now, after I sell some parts that is to pay for it all.  :D
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline JoeNasr123

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 10:01:38 PM »
You didn't mention anything about the stripe size you used, or whether you experimented with different stripe sizes and what you recommend. I'd think to someone who has been using RAID for years, this would be an important aspect of the article.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 05:53:28 AM »
Good point Joe.  After some experimenting with the stipe size and performance, the review was set up with the default settings.  (I normally don't let the RAID software decide what I should do, but it was bang on.)  The stripe size is 128K, with the drive clusters in at a measly 32K.  The stripe is wide allowsing for larger transfers of data, currently 4 blocks at a time.  This is what was chosen by default, and although I played around with different settings, it was actually the best performer.

Offline VE6JHC

• Case Whacker
  • Heat Removal by H20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 06:11:55 PM »
I am running Sata raid as well but I found a much larger performance boost....Running HD Tach I got about an 80% improvment by switching from a single 40 gb 7200 rpm 8 meg cache drive to a pair of 120 7200 8 meg cache drives. I think this larger increase is because I am running  the 875 chipset with its native sata raid controller. Very happy with the drive speed for the price.
Video Games will send you straight to Hell and Satan has a Rail Gun!