Author Topic: [Frontpage News]80% of TV Viewing Still in SD  (Read 3054 times)

Offline BoneRak

  • Waiting to be Banned.
  • Case Whacker
  • ***
  • Posts: 269
  • Karma: +10/-2
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm not camping, It's a picnic!
    • View Profile
[Frontpage News]80% of TV Viewing Still in SD
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9314&Itemid=1
Quote



Apparently the HD revolution hasn't really caught on like everyone has thought as a new survey found that 80% of TV viewing in the US is still done is Standard Definition. 56% of US households have a HD TV, but that still leaves 44% of people happy with SD TV's. It surprised me that the number was still that high, but Yahoo N. . .


I have a TV that does Standard Definition. I have a computer that Does Hight Definition. I have a laptop that struggles with full screen low resolution Standard Definition. So now lets see, would it make any sense to pay extra for Hight Definition if I can get the jist of what is going on in the show I am watching on my laptop? Plus higher costs in bigger bandwidth packages may also stop people from upgrading to HD. I know there is a number of times I have tried to set the level of video to HD, but my small pipe wouldn't handle it.

Offline Fujitsu

  • JimmyTheKing
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • *****
  • Posts: 1619
  • Karma: +75/-73
  • Gender: Male
  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    • View Profile
Re: [Frontpage News]80% of TV Viewing Still in SD
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
I still have my 27" Tube TV in the living room, although I do also have a HDTV and do pay for the HDTV package

I do not pay for the full HD package however (I think I only get 10 HD Channels) so I'd say 50% of my viewing is still in SD due to the fact that I do not get all the programming I want on the HD Channels that I pay for

Offline epithanatios

  • BCC Staff
  • Static Discharge
  • *****
  • Posts: 192
  • Karma: +2/-1
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • Ben's Blog
Re: [Frontpage News]80% of TV Viewing Still in SD
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »
You can get HD channels through the air now, I think that some people are using that, mostly those of us who are too cheap to pay for TV. But I'd agree that only the hardcore video enthusiasts are willing to spend the extra money for paid HD channels.