Author Topic: Lunar ECLIPSE!! 11-8-03  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Pedro_Mann

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Lunar ECLIPSE!! 11-8-03
« on: November 08, 2003, 03:07:40 AM »
There is a good lunar eclipse tonight. It is supposed to end at 10:30 ET That is 7:30 where I am at. According to weather bug, it is going to be partly cloudy and about 20 degrees where I am at.

Check out the link for info.
http://www.space.com/fullmoonfever/

It would be cool if people post what they see.

;D

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
Re:Lunar ECLIPSE!! 11-8-03
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 06:30:12 AM »
That puts it @ 8:30 MST.  It should be cool.  I'm going to try to take some pictures with my digital camera.  If they turn out cool, I'll post a couple.  If they suck, well, I won't post sucky pictures.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 06:30:22 PM »
Here are some pics that I took with my Samsung Digimax V3.  If you want more info on what settings were used, PM me.

Sorry the pics are all different sizes.  I cropped the outside area to show the moon in more detail. . . they are not zoomed though.  That is how it looks at 100%.  I did use a tripod.  I'm not that steady.

Offline Pedro_Mann

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 11:26:31 PM »
Hey Zeus,

How did you get those pictures to turn out so good? I tried to take pictures but they are not even worth posting. The camera I was using is just an old HP 1.0 megapixel camera so I am not surprised. What settings did you use?

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 07:57:44 AM »
As I mentioned, I used a tripod.  I also set the shutter to 15 seconds, set the aperature to F.11, and manual focused to infinity - I used various ISO film settings - 100, 200, and 400.  Once the Moon started to show a little brighter, I had to actually set the shutter down to just 1 second, with an F. 5.8.

I know it sounds complicated, but really this camera is very simple to use.  I tried the built in "night shot" mode, but the pictures were all too dark.  I'm very impressed that you can even see the stars!

All together I took about 40 pictures.  We played them back as a slideshow on my Xena's computer afterward, it was really nifty to see the moon's orbital progression.

God is an amazing God, to Create all of this is just mind-blowing!

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 08:02:45 AM »
I stepped out of work to see this thing last night, never seen one before, so I thought I should take the opportunity.  Nice pics Zeus, they turned out real well.
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline BoneRak

• Waiting to be Banned.
  • Case Whacker
  • I'm not camping, It's a picnic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 12:37:30 PM »
I too stepped out to take a look. I caught the moon looking like your last picture there Zues.

I see the moon,
The moon sees me,
God bless the moon,
And God bless me.
- Nursery Rhyme

Offline Pedro_Mann

• BCC n00b
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 03:26:23 PM »
As I mentioned, I used a tripod.  I also set the shutter to 15 seconds, set the aperature to F.11, and manual focused to infinity - I used various ISO film settings - 100, 200, and 400.  Once the Moon started to show a little brighter, I had to actually set the shutter down to just 1 second, with an F. 5.8.

God is an amazing God, to Create all of this is just mind-blowing!

Zeus,

Thank you for the specs. I have more experience on video than I do on a camera so it was difficult to take a decent picture, plus I was limited by my equipment. The only setting I can adjust is the exposure, but it didn't have the effect I was looking for.

Quick question, Is your camera film or digital? I would assume it were film because of the settings you told me, but you had the pics posted so fast, it was still happening where I am at (PST) and the pics were already on the web, I don't think the 1 Hour photo is that fast.

And to the last part of the quote - all I can say is amen brother. During the eclipse a thought I had was this - Total eclipeses either solar or lunar are a rare thing, even on other planets it doesn't always happen because of the exact size of the moon and it's proportionate distance between the earth and sun, is exactly perfect. The moon could be larger and you wouldn't see the sun's corona during a solar eclipse or if the moon were farther away, the earth wouldn't perfectly block the light. It would llok more like a donought hole. How could anyone say that this along with all of the other magnificent objects of creation just RANDOMLY happen. I don't think it could.

I read that you went to bible school. That is cool, which one? The reason I ask is because I just graduated from a program called the Master's Commission which is a one year deicipleship and leadership/sevanthood school - If I could broadly summarize it like that. A bit off topic but just a natural progression of thought.

Pedro

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 06:06:15 PM »
It is a digital camera.  It has most, if not all, of the setting capabilities of an expensive film camera though.  I love it.  I picked it up from Dallmann Computers.

It's a great camera that uses SD or MMC cards, as well as a Lithium-Ion CRV3 rechargable battery.  It has 3x Optical Zoom and 4x Digital Zoom.  The pics were taken at 3x Optical Zoom.

It also has a macro and super-macro mode.  I'll post up a pic of the super-macro in a later thread.