Author Topic: Multipole Digital connector  (Read 6466 times)

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
  • and I'm a man who loves his Taffy!
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Multipole Digital connector
« on: November 22, 2003, 09:02:32 AM »
I was wondering if anybody knew where to get a multipole digital mini to RCA adapter.  I need it for my Audigy to get digital sound out.  I tried one, not realizing its only stereo.  I am having a hard time finding one, so if anybody sees one on their travels, please let me know where I can get one.  Thankx
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
Re:Multipole Digital connector
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 07:51:01 AM »
Ok now I'm really confused, I've been talking to some people, and they say that you don't need the multipole digital connector, that all you need is a mono mini plug.  Well that is what I have.  Does anybody have any experience with 5.1 sound and the Audigy?
Intel i7 650 | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Geforce 660 GT | 12 GB Patriot PC12800 | Corsair 600watt Modular PSU

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 10:45:16 AM »
Let me get this straight - you're trying to use the "Digital Audio Out" on your Audigy, and are trying to plug it into how many RCA jacks?  Are you separating the signal into right and left, or are you just piping the 1/8" mini jack to a single RCA jack?

It's just a bit-stream, so I believe that you must use a mono (only one end on the RCA end) and it should work.  If you purchase a "Digital Connector" it will probably set you back $20-$40, and it is exactly the same thing.

I've been foolish enough in the past to buy a SPIDF cable to run from my DVD-ROM to my soundcard.  It's just a simple two wire cable.  I should have chopped a regular audio cable in half and it would have done the same thing.

Mono should work for the bitstream, but it must only have one connector on each end.

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 03:11:33 PM »
well i sorta got it working now, but sometimes when I go to select 5.1 or whatever, my comp reboots, or DVD playaback gets choppy, I'm going to play with it a bit more and see what I can find out.  But this is really kinda frustrating.  After further investigation I found that I don't need that Multipole digital connector.  And I already have a mono end for the mini plug.  

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 09:02:21 AM »
It works good now, finally after installing the programs off of the Audigy CD, then applying the updated drivers to the already installed drivers it worked.  There was one little feature in there that you have to turn off to tell the Audigy not to decode the digital signal on the card, but let it pass the signal to another decoder.  Of course this feature was burried quite a bit.  And now the DVD playback is working fine too.  Darn Creative and their drivers.

Offline Zeus

• I AM Canadian!
  • BCC Admin
  • Hard Modder!
  • [S]odbuster
    • View Profile
    • BCCHardware
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 10:04:35 AM »
I'm glad to see that it wasn't a rare Plextor problem!   ;)

Offline Howdy Duty

• Case Whacker
    • View Profile
    • GottaGettaGert.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 01:19:20 PM »
Are you sure you don't need a multi-pole connector to get a bitstream from the audigy?  I tried useing a mono-mini to rca on my x-gamer 5.1, and it didn't work.  It required a multi-pole but could never find one.  If I can get a bit stream out of the audigy with a simple mono-mini to rca I'd be sooo happy!

-HD

Offline LobbDogg

• Solder Master
    • View Profile
    • World of Xen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:38:51 PM »
That was my concern at first to, but I am using the same plug you are and it works great now.  Make sure you turn off AC3 decoding under the Audio HQ panel on the control panel.  This is the thing I missed for the longest time.